News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Car on rotisserie and new floor

Started by Jerry Box, 2014-01-08 23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

It must be nice. I could never justify the cost unless I motorized it to cook a whole cow and sell BBQ beef on the side when not in use  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: Jerry Box on 2014-01-12 19:38
Started the floor repair. I got the rear left side cut out and new floor panel welded in. It take a long time welding it in I am seam welding every thing. My first time welding thin metal you have to go slow and jump around.

One tip if you're butt-welding the edges together is to hold a piece of flat copper bar behind the weld.  It helps stop it from burning through and the weld won't stick to it.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Also, get your new body mount kit ordered asap. There are many vendors, but to my knowledge, only one manufacturer, so when they (Dennis Carpenter) run out, so does everyone else. It was almost a year before I was finally able to get mine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jerry Box

Thanks for the tip on the copper bar I will try it.
I will order body mount kit right away thanks.
My wife bought the rotisserie for me she felt sorry for me working on my knees.

electricalan

Thats cool of your wife Jerry.I will have to let my wife know about that when I get ready to order one this spring.I emailed them and they will deliver for 285.00,and I will save 100.00 not paying cal. tax. Thanks for the info.
                                            Al
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Jerry Box

I need to buy new inner rocker panels and body braces. Has any one ever used Mac's antique auto parts before? They have body to frame kits too.

Limey57

I have four cardboard boxes in the garage FULL of parts from Macs!  Prices seem good and (as a foriegner) their ordering and shipping is very efficient.  My body mount kit came from there and is now installed & was no-problem.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jerry Box

Ecode70D

Quote from: Limey57 on 2014-01-20 09:58
I have four cardboard boxes in the garage FULL of parts from Macs!  Prices seem good and (as a foriegner) their ordering and shipping is very efficient.  My body mount kit came from there and is now installed & was no-problem.

Limey
   I have been carefully studying your build and know that you are well qualified and have the needed skills.  After I welded Mac's lower quarters on my car, I proceeded to cut them off because I was not satisfied with the lines.  Someone gave me a 58 four door custom with nice lower quarters, so that's what's on my car now.
    In this picture, the forward quarter is 57 Failane 500 (trimmed down).  The rocker is Mac's and the lower quarter is 58 Ford Custom 4 dr.   The dog leg is hammered out from scrap flat stock.
     You have a unique problem because of where you are and OEM parts are not walking into your shop, but I'm confident that you will do a nice job with what you have to work with.  Feel free to PM.
     Please forgive me for  hijacking this thread.

Jerry Box

I just sent my order in with EMS through Hot Rod Sheet metal. I order all new floor braces, trunk braces, transmission tunnel, inner and outer rocker panels. I will hope for the best. Thanks for your help keep watching for me on here because I need all the help I can get.

Ecode70D

Quote from: Jerry Box on 2014-01-20 11:34
I just sent my order in with EMS through Hot Rod Sheet metal. I order all new floor braces, trunk braces, transmission tunnel, inner and outer rocker panels. I will hope for the best. Thanks for your help keep watching for me on here because I need all the help I can get.

Jerry
    In my opinion  I think that you made a very wise decision with the EMS panels.  It seems like the guys that have used them are very satisfied with them.  Just take your time and and measure several times before cutting   your panels. You don't want to cut off too much and have to weld it back on so you have to start over again.
    That was a good tip from Limey about putting brass or copper behind the weld.  I've been doing that for years and it works.  It's a good heat sink too  Jay

Jerry Box

Thank you for your help. Going out to work on the frame while I wait for the floor parts to come.

Jerry Box

My floor parts can in so I will be working on the rockers and floor braces here are a few pic's

Jerry Box

It took me all day but I got 3 floor braces in and the left inner and outer rockers in. Here  some pic's.

RICH MUISE

"all day" ain't bad by a long shot. Looks like you've got a handle or two on things. Nice job..keep us updated.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe