News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Car on rotisserie and new floor

Started by Jerry Box, 2014-01-08 23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Box

When I am working on my car I get so busy I forget to take pictures. But I will try not to forget. I like looking at the pictures when I am done.

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Jerry Box on 2014-02-17 22:00
When I am working on my car I get so busy I forget to take pictures. But I will try not to forget. I like looking at the pictures when I am done.
That's how I am, couldn't be bothered to think of it and my phone/camera is always on my work bench, I've taken a few just not as many as I should have. HRD 

petew

jumping jack flash

There is a tool available from Harbor Freight for the welding. It looks like the spatula at Pizza Hut they serve you a piece of pizza with.It is made of copper and has a nice handle made of wood so you won't burn your hand.Also , they have the little panel clips. They are for holding the two panels in place, aligned so a tack weld can be placed. They come with about 8 on a card.You really want these tools. The cost is about $7.00 per set of panel clamps, clips, vises or whatever they call them, the same for the copper backing tool.$ 7.00  Available in the welding section.

RICH MUISE

The problem I found with the copper backing tool is you normally would need another hand to hold it in place if you can even reach the area at the same time your trying to hold the mig steady with one hand. What I did was use a piece of copper tubing flattened and bent at 45* on both ends, and attached one end to a magnetic indicator holder...the type with an on-off switch and and adjustable arm. If you use a length of copper long enough, the magnetic field won't screw up the mig as a strong magnet too close to a weld area normally would. The indicator holder sold by Harbor freight is not really strong enough to hold well...although I used it many times when welding fender trim holes. I picked up an old Starrett machinist' magnetic base at a swap meet for 10 bucks..works perfect. I can post a pic if wanted.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Thats a damn good idea Rich. I've tried holding copper plate in place by trapping it with a jack, using duct tape, holding it with my free hand (not for long!), but I'll try your idea, save me getting burned fingers (again.....).
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

I have some with magnets imbedded in them...maybe Eastwood.

RICH MUISE

Knew I had a pic somewhere...Took me forever to figure out why my tack welding was so bad when I was using strong magnets really close to the weld area. I don't know why it screws up the mig welding, but it does. As I said, this setup gets the magnet far away enough to be a non issue.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jerry Box

I got the panel clips and like your magnet that is cool thanks for the picture

modifieddriver

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-02-18 19:36
Knew I had a pic somewhere...Took me forever to figure out why my tack welding was so bad when I was using strong magnets really close to the weld area. I don't know why it screws up the mig welding, but it does. As I said, this setup gets the magnet far away enough to be a non issue.

That right there is one heck of a good idea  :001:. I'll remember this this one. 
If ya' really want it, all ya' have to do is "STEP- UP"

electricalan

I had made the same copper pipe ,but dinking around with all sorts of ways to get it in place.That a neat little gadget Rich ,thanks for sharing....again.
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-02-18 19:36

Yes,an awesome bit of tech there Rich..
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Thanks Rich...Now I have to fit one of them to my magnetic base on my dial indicator.

Jerry Box

I am still working on the floor. I have both rocker panel in, left fire wall all in, right fire wall tack in, right and left front floor panels tack in. Ready to put in the tunnel in. Five new floor braces are all in. So here are some more pictures.

Jerry Box

More pictures, the green rocker panel was cover up with the red rocker panel it was pop rivet on and rivet we're cover up with under coating.