News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My '57 runs after 27 years !

Started by jdlafayette, 2014-03-22 16:34

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlafayette

I just wanted to post this because it's been so long coming! My friends Dave, Chris and John came over to help me fire up the 390. I built it from the ground up, Comp cams, dual quads, Mad Dog headers, top loader 4-speed and on and on with tons of advice from all you guys. I had the distributor off one tooth retarded. Chris advanced it a tooth and she came to life. Sounds sweet too. My valve setting and carb settings seem good!  I'm a proud Poppa but still lots of work and $$$$$ to go. Thanks, John

JimNolan

LIKE!!!!!   Keep it up, you're getting there.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

sprink88

~Chris

Frankenstein57

That's awesome, nothing like getting it fired up for the first time. Maybe the maiden voyage!   Mark

RICH MUISE

Way to go. That must have put a smile on your face!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

After 27 years, you deserve a pat on the back.  It looks good too.  Now get out there and drive the wheels off of it so you  can make up for lost time.  I'm very happy for you.

jdlafayette

Thanks Guys, Still lots of work to do plus my health gets in the way. I have to finish painting it, Interior etc. That picture is from last summer. I will get it out and shoot some more.
I always tell people how helpful you guys are with advice. How did we build Hot Rods before the internet. People around here aren't much into 57 Fords but like them. Lots of Chevelles!

65kcode

That is looking good, such a great feeling after all those years of dreams!  What color are you painting it?

Kevin

sprink88

Nobody ever thinks of the Fords....... until they see one. Then the smile on their face says it all. Keep up the good work!
~Chris

jdlafayette

I'm using Eastwood Wimbeldon white and cruise night blue two tone. It's close to what it was in '68 or so. I have the roof done and the top of the body. When our #%&$* weather ever clears I will paint the bottom of the body blue. Painting has been a nightmare! I like the paint. It's great stuff at a great price and they give you free shipping and discounts. The problems I have is moisture , dust, fish eyes and dry spots. One stupid move I made was using plastic sheets from home depot. When the paint dried it would flake off and blow on my fresh paint. Try to save 5 bucks and it bites you in the ass! I was too close to the compressor too and it blew dust on my fender! I will fix all that stuff. I have painted a lot of cars in my life, but new problems always pop up!

petew

Great looking car and the 390 is one of Fords best.

hiball3985

Congratulations on getting it fired up. The 390 and 4 speed should make it a fun driver. I don't have a lot of patience at times, I'd probably be heading down the road  sitting on a milk crate  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

The only thing I really fret about on the first start up is wiping out the cam. I would run the engine for an hour or two then drain and inspect the oil just to be sure.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I once covered the wheels on a car I was painting with big plastic trash bags. I guess you now know why that was a mistake. Congrats again on your progress!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

There used to be a product called fish eye eliminator.  It works