News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My '57 runs after 27 years !

Started by jdlafayette, 2014-03-22 16:34

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Plastic is cheap, easy, and in big sheets.  The down side is that it can be used once.  Once the paint dries, it can't be used again.  It you get all the paint on in one session, it's great stuff.  It is great for covering other things in the shop.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Sorry, Gary..can't agree with you on this one. I'll never try to use plastic again...once the first coats start to dry and you start laying on, let's say, the clearcoat, the spraygun will start blowing the dried stuff off the plastic and start a snowstorm of dried flakes all headed for your paint job. Just not worth the ease of masking..too much time to fix, and paints waaaay too expensive to chance the risk. If your doing a one wet pass or several wet passes and it's done, ok, but multi coats that are drying long before the last coat is sprayed, no thanks.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jdlafayette

I won't use the plastic again. What a nightmare when you get that snowstorm of paint flakes. I am going to try to wet sand them out and if I have to repaint a couple of sections. It would only be the top of the fenders if I have to.

As far as the engine we ran it for 40 minutes. I used break in lube and Lucas zinc additive with diesel 15 40 if I remember. I will change the oil again too. I have heard lots of stories about flattening out cams.

I can't wait to drive it but there is no glass in it. I have to put a headliner in it first before the glass too. My seat needs to be done too. Maybe just a blanket for now.

Thanks for all the kind words. John

RICH MUISE

I got my headliner from a place not to far from you..in Worcester. Really nicely sewn and a great selection of fabric. I'll look up the name if you don't know who it is I'm talking about.

gasman826

I was quite lucky with the plastic.  I used it when I was spraying Lizard Skin and tinted bed liner.  I learned the flaking thing when it didn't really hurt anything.  Used rolled paper from the rack with the tape dispenser for long paint sessions.  Like I said...works great for covering shop equipment and the tool box on the other side of the shop.

jdlafayette

Do you mean Lebaron Bonney? I want to buy the whole interior kit eventually. It used to be ABC interior and then they bought the guy out. They also bought out EZ Boy rod interior. I like the original '57 interior. It's going to cost over $2000 for the kit, seats, door panels and all other stuff. :006:

RICH MUISE

No. Automotive interiors. They are in Belchertown. They will send a sample board of fabrics you want to see. I wanted a soft look....the fabric I got was really high quality with almost a mohair look to it. They are in Belchertown...I have them on our supplier list. I don't know anything about their oem style upholstery.
www.automotiveinteriors.com
My pic...almost done here. The fabric I mentioned was their synthetic, color Leige

jdlafayette

Thanks for the info. Belchertown is not far from me. It is hard to find upholstery guys around here. There are 2 shops in my area that are nightmares. I gave my 1948 Ford to one of them to fix the conv. top where it meets the body. He scratched my car and charged me $500. I felt sick!!!  The other guy charged my friend $1000 to put a headliner in a 1960 Chevy wagon. He also put a headliner in my friends 1956 Chevy and put screws to hold it in by the back window. I could go on and on. Thanks , John

RICH MUISE

If you do it yourself (the headliner) give us a heads-up. We've run threads on it and a lot of useful tips have come up. It's not really that bad once you get the how-am-I-going-to-attach-it figured out. I will say it took 4 or 5 days a few hours at a time to get it done...old bodies like mine run out of energy quickly...which is why I'm in here on the computer after just one sheet of metal roofing.
A heads up if I'm not too late. Be careful with the roof bows..they are different and have to go back in the same order. They are color coded on the ends, but it may be hard to find or rusted so you can't see. If they were removed without coding them, let us know, somewhere we have some pics and discriptions comparing one to the other. Some guys clean them off and paint them. I cleaned mine off and wrapped them with the same color coded electrical tape...didn't want futre rust stains on the headliner.

jdlafayette

Cool! thanks for the tips. I am going to do the headliner myself. All the glass is out as well as no interior. The bows are out and crusty. I did mark them and will clean and paint them. I try to do everything on my cars. They never come out perfect but I don't have much money to pay to have stuff done. Thanks, John

hotroddonnie

Glad your happy that its running, I know I sure was. Don't beat yourself up to badly I had a few bites on the ass with my build.....I'm finally able to sit down. HRD

electricalan

Nice work and congrads on your motor.Once you get it finished I think some of those boys,who all have the same old chevells in the driveway,are going to wish they had yours.I too just this past july got my 292 fired up after sitting nearly 30 years.I been driving it a bit,but its time to tear her down .I need to find a shop to rebuild mine that knows y-blocks,but they all say they do.
                             Hey rich was that an AC unit in yuor garage wall? We dont have those where I come from,just window wipers on our houses.
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

RICH MUISE

If you want to work in a garage in Texas you either need heat or air at least 1/2 the year. If I don't turn the air on on an average hot day it gets to the top of my thermometer readings by noon.

electricalan

Never been in a garage in Texas,just an airport.Maybe someday
Returning from a long hibernation!!!