News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Factory heaters

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-04-21 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I wanted to clarify my understanding of factory heaters. My car had a heater core that hung down under the dash, and a plate on the cowl to block off the top large hole on the passenger side. I am told that heaters in 1957 were optional equiptment and that what I had was a rare dealer installed option. The units with more actually mounted on the engine side of the cowl were the factory installed heaters. Is that correct? I was also told that what I have is hard to find and desirable because it keeps the firewall cleaner. I will be replacing it with an aftermarket heat/air unit so I'm curious if what I have is worth anything. ...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Sounds like Pep Boys to me :003:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Rich:

Maybe this will help.  My 57 has a dealer installed cheapie heater.  It is located below the glove compartment and the fan motor/blower is located on the firewall in the engine compartment.  You can see from the attached photos there is a plate on the firewall where the more expensive factory installed SelectAire heater box would go, below that block off plate is the fan motor/blower that extends inside the driver compartment to blow defrost and heater air to the interior.  I've had the heater core refurbished by Matson Radiator and the cheapie works pretty good.  the control is located where the cigarette lighter is on the dash as I replaced the original heater knob located where my non-stock gauges are installed, where the SelectAire heater controls would be.

Bob
57 AGIN   

JPotter57

Thats what my last one had Bob and Rich.  The one I have now came from Dallas, and didnt have any heater at all, 2 delete plates in the engine compartment, and a blank delete plate on the dash, no controls, etc.  Simple.  I like.  Does it have the Ford crest on it still Rich?  If so, it is the real dealer installed deal, not sure if it's worth more or whatever.  I still have the one from my last `57, as I installed a pair of delete plates on it as well.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

It does have the crest, It's the same a Bob's...Rich

Partsman

I had a 57 with the same kind of heater.  It is a recirculating heater which was used in some really cold northern states mine was from Montana.  It did not pickup fresh air through the cowl but just recirculated the air in the passanger compartment.  That way it would heat the interior when the outside temp was really low. The blower switch was where the lighter normally was.  I ran into several of these while I was still working for Ford dealers.

RICH MUISE

Great to know..and at least it's not a pep boys! Mine was from wyoming...At least thats's where the 1975 newspaper that was stuffed behind the bondo in the rocker panels was from.

Ford Blue blood

It is really nice to know that repair techniques didn't change much from one location to the next!  The 57 I just picked up from KS had 71 TX news papers in the quarters....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jdlafayette

Regarding 57 heaters, Does anyone make new heater cores for 57's? mine is a factory installed one in my fairlane. About the newspapers in the quarters. I found ones from a 1964 Northampton mass. paper in mine. Northampton is only about 40 minutes from my house. My car has never left home I guess!

RICH MUISE

if they don't, it shouldn't be a problem finding one as an awful lot of us have changed to aftermarket units with air. Also, it shouldn't be a problem for any good radiator shop to repair one as they would a radiator. I mostly responded with this info you probably already know because my hometown is Acton, mass.and just wanted to say Hi.   Rich

canadian_ranchero

concours parts have them

jdlafayette

Hi Rich, Thanks for info. John