News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

pressurized radiator overflow...needed for 4.6 dohc?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-15 09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

The Mark viii 4.6 dohc donor car had a pressurized overflow tank as common to most new cars. It was quite large, about a gallon or so. Should I plan on keeping it in the '57, or will a small aluminum aftermarket tube-type unit that hooks up to the radiator overflow tube suffice?
I'm needing to replace the thermostat housing on the donor engine to move the lower radiator hose up away from the lower control arm area, and that housing is where the overflow tank tube hooks up to, so trying to figure out whether to look for a housing with or without the overflow outlet.
As always..opinions appreciated.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Sorry Rich, I don't recall what radiator you are using, does it have a provision for over flow into an expansion tank? If so you wouldn't need one coming from the thermostat housing. If not I would use one similar to the one you have. But I would definitely have one somewhere in the system. I haven't added one yet to my own  :003: but its on the list..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'm using the Auto City aluminum radiator. I't is very similar to the '57 oem radiators in design. The only provision for an overflow is the tube that is welded in to the radiator cap's neck, with barbs to attach a rubber drain hose. I don't know if that overflow tube would work for getting fluid back into the radiator. I would think it would have to be a lower attaching point on the system??

hiball3985

I really don't know if there is something different about the cooling system of the 4.6 but I attach the overflow tanks to the one on the radiator. I've had them for years on 2 66 Mustangs and both of my trucks and it has always worked fine. 

If everything is operating normal you will never really exceed the pressure in the cap and pump much back into the tank. Back before some smart marketing people decided to call anti freeze "coolant" so they could sell it to people who didn't need it :003: we didn't have expansion tanks because at worst we just spilled a little water out the overflow..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

quote: "but I attach the overflow tanks to the one on the radiator".  Are you talking attaching via the tube welded to the cap neck ?

RICH MUISE

I'm thinking (oh, no) the large size of the overflow tank,  is just to increase the volume of the coolant since alot of the newer cars just don't have room for a large capacity radiator, and for sure just aren't made with intergral large tanks as part of the radiator assembly.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-15 20:58
quote: "but I attach the overflow tanks to the one on the radiator".  Are you talking attaching via the tube welded to the cap neck ?
Yes I just connect it to the over flow tube coming from the neck.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-15 22:50
I'm thinking (oh, no) the large size of the overflow tank,  is just to increase the volume of the coolant since alot of the newer cars just don't have room for a large capacity radiator, and for sure just aren't made with intergral large tanks as part of the radiator assembly.
That might be the case, I'm just not familiar with these modern contraptions :003: but that seems to make sense. I'll bet a 57 type radiator will be more then enough capacity for the 4.6.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I for sure don't take pics of tri-fives too often, I did this one because I sure liked both his overflow setup, and his hydo-boost. I was really wanting to get some info from him on the hydo-boost, but he wasn't anywhere to be found. It's the first time I've seen, or noticed, a hydroboost with a regular type master cylinder. Saw another tri five c...y with same setup, except the "knobby knees" style master that usually accompanies the hydro-boost. Must be a Chevy thing...wonder if it could be adapted to a ford.

gasman826

Those hydro-booster master cylinder combos are not a matched set.  Just because your master cylinder is aluminum with plastic reservoirs does not mean you're stuck with it.  Earlier hydro-boosters mated up to master cylinders of the time.  I have a '99 Mustang GT booster and a '74 Lincoln booster.  The master cylinders interchange.

Boss/Cyclone

I have that exact over flow on that Chevy on my 66 Mustang.  I bought it on eBay years ago.  Works great and doesn't take much space.
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

RICH MUISE

quote Gary:"I have a '99 Mustang GT booster and a '74 Lincoln booster.  The master cylinders interchange."
Did you mean '74 Lincoln master cylinder?

Boss/Cyclone

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-11-16 16:34
quote Gary:"I have a '99 Mustang GT booster and a '74 Lincoln booster.  The master cylinders interchange."
Did you mean '74 Lincoln master cylinder?

While I can't speak for Gary, 74 Lincolns had hydroboost also.  So, I think he is saying they swap back and forth.
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

RICH MUISE

cool. I've got a '01 Mustang hydoboost, but I sure don't like the knobby looking master cylinder.