News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

air intake systems

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-12-29 10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Trying to figure out what I need to do for my cold air intake on the 4.6 dohc/efi. My chief concern is whether or not I actually have to go outside the engine compartment for the air intake. I've seen a number of cars just set up with the conical air filter inside the engine compartment, including some K & N setups for the newer Mustangs. I'd prefer to keep it simple and not go thru the inner fender/wheelwell.
Keep in mind I'm not building a racecar, so I'm not concerned with a minor gain in potential HP by getting to outside air. Would I be bypassing any needed controls/sensors/electronics just going with the K & N filter? Any and all opinions appreciated.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich most of the cold air kits pull off the top of the radiator support.  They seal the sides of the air box to the hood with a hollow rubber tube on the top edge of the box.  Need to put that right side inner panel in place, look at lowering the battery and run the intake tube over the top of it.....just thinking aloud here.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the reply...My head's kinda swimming right now with how to route all this stuff. I'm 95% sure I'm going to move the battery to the driver's side and either rework the inner fender for a box/shelf that will allow the battery to be behind the headlight, accesible from the engine compartment. If I do that, I'll use an optima battery on it's side. I may also be able to move the steering reservoir from in front of the head to the inner fender, and build a bracket that would allow the battery to sit upright, in the engine compartment, parallel to the radiator in front of the head. Only problem with that is building a bracket/tray strong enough to support the heavy battery as I obviously can't support it off the engine.
I'm also 95% sure I'm going to route the A/C condensor lines thru the splash panel under the headlight and outside of the inner fender as you suggested. I'm trying to figure out what type of lines would be best for that, and will also probably add some bulkead fittings where it passes thru panels. That's why I got back to thinking about whether or not I needed to also go out the inner fender for the air intake.

SkylinerRon

Put the Optima in the trunk.
Only way that is practical.

Ron.

65kcode

The battery in the trunk will help with traction as well!  :burnout: :burnout:

Kevin

RICH MUISE

I was trying to avoid that, but I try to stay open to better ideas so it may happen. I can't argue the fact that it would help to clean up a cluttered engine compartment. Do you guys route the cables under the car or thru the rocker panel?