News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

one more small project done.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-01-04 21:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I found out the dryer for the A/C can't be tipped...probably should have bought a horizontal one, as I was hoping to mount it on the back of the inner fender, so I mounted it inside the engine comparment on a bracket I made that mounts to the inner fender. At least I bought a chrome dryer, so I don't think it looks bad. I mounted the bracket to the inner fender with two 1/4-20 nutsert type fittings...worked pretty well.
I also got my new gas tank in today. This is the Ni-tern finished one from Classic Auto. I can't tell if it has a perfectly formed dent in the top edge, or it was formed that way..doesn't matter I guess as I think that is where I am going to cut out for the fuel pump panel. Seems to be well made. 189 bucks. (their Zinc finish is 139.)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

hmmm....well, I think this is one of those things you go back and look at the next day and say to yourself "why'd I do it that way?". I could have just used a flat plate mounted vertically to the area behind the dryer. Would have been easier, but more important, it would have been a cleaner look. I may go back and redo that. I can use the two inserts I put in the innerfender for hose or wiring clamps. Oh well, running out of money for a while, was trying to figure out what no cost projects I could work on for a while.

SkylinerRon

Should the dryer be mounted next to the condenser? All the factory ones seem to be.
Just say'n.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Thanks Ron. This is why I post pics of every little thing I do...input from the members. This is my first build..not sure if I qualify as rookie status after working 7 years on it so far, lol, but everything I do is a "first time" for me. Opinions always appreciated.
I'll check into it some more, I thought anywhere between the condenser and evaporator was ok, but the 2 diagrams in Vintage Air catalog show it just before the bulkhead on the firewall.

BWhitmore

Rich - my drier is mounted about 3 feet away from the condensor and at a slight angle and works fine.  Cold a/c. 

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Bill. That's about what mine is..3 feet and on a slight angle.
BTW, couldn't find the thread, but I think you were the one that suggested hard lines. I looked into them a bit more and that's the way I'm going from the condenser thru to the inner fender. I didn't realize I could buy from Vintage Air aluminum straight tubes with fittings on each end that I could form myself...and they are cheap. 10-15 bucks. The rest will be a combo of rubber and stainless flex hose.

BWhitmore

Rich - I thought the hard lines would be the right touch given the quality of your build.  I went with rubber lines given that my Ranchero is pretty much stock.  Surprisingly, with the two hoses routed over the core support (with a 1/4" trim to the core support) the hood closes fine and gives me great accessibility.  Thanks.