News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

cigar light does not get hot

Started by ptwood, 2011-02-17 09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

This is one other annoying problem in my '57 63A Fairlane 500 - ( although minor) since I do not smoke nor will I let anyone smoke in this car..
My analysis so far confirms that the wire that connects to the rear terminal on the cigar lighter is Hot (12V) all the time...

what are the possible reasons the lighter does not get hot.. someone just told me the coil in the lighter itself that you pull out to to use light up could be the culprit and is broken..
can anyone comment. and if it is this the case - can I buy a replacement- where?
thank you!

Ford Blue blood

Any of the vendors can supply one...or....go to the Zone and get a generic if originality is not a hot item for you.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lou

It's been years since I took a lighter apart, I belive the heating (coils) unscrew from the top (Knob) if this is the case you can replace the coils with the coils from any other 12 Volt FoMoCo lighter. Try the replacement lighter (any lighter will plug into your 57) to see if it works before you take it apart.

ptwood

ptwood

well I did a test with another lighter... no good, so I checked if gthere is power in the female part of trhe igher that is in the dash and nothing, as I mentioned the wire coming to the back of the ligher is 13V...
I know there is a fuse so that probably is bad, one place I called (hilltop classics in CA) checking to see if he had the fuse said there is some sort of button on the back that needed to be pressed in?? I did not see this so called "swicth" or button... ring any bells..
Looks like I have to try a fuse, and maybe the coil isn't my problem
Thx

deereford

Hi, It's to cold and snowy to go look at my 57 today. I do know fords of thr 60's & 70's have a little circut breaker on the  back of the lighter socket. If its bad almost any lighter socket from an auto supply or salvage yard from almost any make will work in a 57. The contacts inside the socket may also be corroded so bad the won't make contact, all the ashes from over the years take their toll. Hope this helps. Brad.

canadian_ranchero

here is a service bulletin on cigar lighters.some other info also 

ptwood

Hi
mine does not have the circuit breaker, completely disassembled (it was quite corroded) cleaned the whole unit and it now appears to be the fuse a the back of ligher .Thanks toall who offer suggestions.
Once I get the fuse I will reconfirm
Peter