News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

battery charged the wrong way

Started by deucekoop, 2011-02-19 03:50

Previous topic - Next topic

deucekoop

I have done something stupid. I charged the battery in the car while it was hooked up but i charged it up the wrong way around. I have changed the battery but it seems like i have reversed the way the power is working as the generator is trying to work when the ignition is switched off. Can anyone help

wv 57s forever

:006:

unhook battery recharge correct way.

Ford Blue blood

Put a load of three or four lights (dash lights, head lights, tail lights or what ever) on it to discharge it slowly to near 100% before you hook up the charger.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

bossguy

Would re-polarizing the regulator help?

Ford Blue blood

Not really, the battery will look like a huge load with the reverse charge and needs to be discharged (disconnected) then charged in the proper polarity.  Won't hurt a thing to "polarize" the generator after the battery is re-charged and prior to starting the car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

deucekoop

I changed battery and now the generator light stays on when the ignition is off and i could hear it trying to work. Does it need to be switched back and how do you do it

canadian_ranchero

does your volt meter show positive voltage off the + battery terminal?also check for stuck contact in the voltage regulater

deucekoop

Thanks for your replys i have taken the voltage regulator and generator to an auto sparky for testing and the battery is charging up wel the right way around