News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

anyone used Ron Francis 24/7 wiring kits?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-10-27 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm getting close to ordering my wiring harnesses and I was wondering if anyone has used the Ron Francis 24/7 style kits. These kits are already terminated at the block, so the wires are installed backwards from what I guess is the norm of starting at the end user. In an older post,Bubba had originally thought of using the 24/7,but decided on the Express model instead to keep the wiring neater, as recommended to him by the Ron Francis people.
I guess I'm curious why they make a neat set-up like the 24/7 has with it's pull-out fuse panel, but then recommend other of their kits over it??? I'm also wondering if the wires are not able to be reconnected at the panel to shorten them, what you would do if you fried a wire and had to replace it.
So, if anyone has used the 24/7 kit in their '57, please let us know how it worked out, particularly with respect to any excess lengths of wires you might have ended up with.
guess I need to do the obvious and call Ron Francis.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

Rich, I cant speak on the 24/7 but I have used their Express Kit on 6 different vehicles including my 57 300 Im building now.I have never had any issues with their kits.You dont really have to know anything about wiring to wire your car with their kits everything comes with good instuructions and pictures.You will have plenty of wire left over because he sends more than enough to cover each item and all of the wire is labed every foot so if you have to go back later and and trace something. The only real advantage I see with the 24/7 is the pannel box is held were ever you mount it by a magnet base.With all new wires/box etc.if you follow their directions you will hardly ever be needing to get to the pannel box.Under the 57 dash there there is easyly enough room to mount the pannel were it can be seen with very little effort.One item I would recomend is their pt.# GW-15 Grounding terminal strip,which is a dirrect ground and allows you to connect all of your grounds in one place were they cant get wet or anything,great item.I have tried a couple of the other brands on cars we were building were I work were the customer had bought to save a little money,but the trouble we had with them didnt outway the difference in cost.I would spend the little extra and get the Ron Francis kit.Just my 2 cents worth,sorry about the long answer.

P.S. If you get the new Ron Francis catalog the orange 57 ford truck on the front cover is one I built from the ground up about 3 1/2 years ago for my cousin.Used one of their express kits in it.It ended up in 2 different magazines.  Tarheel 57 :unitedstates:

Ford Blue blood

Rich I have installed six Ron Francis kits in street rods and a 57 Chev (for a friend that lives on the dark side) and thier product is outstanding.  The kit you get is registered in your name in his computer base.  The tech line is great (I have not had to use it, just hear say from two other rodders) and if there are any recalls or tech issues down the road they send the fix at no cost.  They cost more but the quality is second to none.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I've heard nothing but good about RF. In my case they'll be particularly useful because they offer oem Ford steering column and ignition connectors (for my Mustang steering column) as well as the efi engine control harness specifically for the Mark viii 4.6 dohc I'm planning on using.
Thanks for the input Bill and Tarheel
Tarheel: where exactly did you locate the fuse panels on the '57's you did?
P.S....I did talk to a RF rep and he told me the 24/7 series was better suited for a basically stock to oem specs car. The express series lends itself better to custom modified cars.

tarheel57

Mounted them on the left outer wall above the E brake & hood handles just high enough that it couldnt be seen sitting in the car.This area works well because I can just squat down beside the car with the door open and lean in there to get to the pannel box.Also this way alows me to look stright on at the box so I dont have to read it upside down like laying in the floor does. Tarheel57 :unitedstates:

Ford Blue blood

If you have a center console putting it there makes it easy to get at.  Have done that on two rods, small Velcro panel on the console and you're good to go.  Funny thing, cars that have been properly wired seldom need to have access to the fuse panel, mostly for adding things to the system.  I might add, I too look for the most serviceable location for the thing.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I got a center console. I specifically asked the RF rep about mounting the 24/7 in the console, and he said it wouldn't work, but the express could be put anywhere. I'm thinking not only ease of access for after it's wired, but for the actual wiring also. The only thing I'd have to figure out is the logistics of the wires that go under the carpeting to the back, as obviously by the time I get the console in, the carpeting will be in.
The tray area towards the firewall I had originally intended to be left open as a tissue and other junk tray, but I could easily put panels on it to cover it up.

tarheel57

Rich I also have made a console for mine and I run all of my wires going to the back of the car (tailights,turn,lic.plate,gas sending,speakers,etc.) under the console.Mine runs from the dash to the back seat so nothing shows.This made it real easy to run these wires and keeps them safe and dry inside the car.I mounted my battery in the trunk and I run my battery cables underneath against the floorpan with stainless steel holders.The only wires you can see at all under the whole car is these 2 battery cables.I took the time with the extra wire that comes with the ron francis express kit to run all of thr wires running to the front hidden were you cant see them.Ron also offers a heavy duty Cut off / Kill switch that you can mount in a hidden remote location.This is one of the best safety items you can buy. I think anyone investing money in restoring any old vehicle should use one of these. Tarheel57 :burnout: