News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Parking light sockets/cabling

Started by rivowner1, 2011-11-21 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

rivowner1

Hi friends. I bought a Fairlane 500 2 d ht back in January which I really enjoy. Now to my question : I bought new front parking light lamp houses and new lamp sockets with wiring. How do I get the bulb socket to be fixed in the housing. It is wobbling and does not fasten to the lamp house. It is not enought to use the plastic cover which is included in the socket with wiring. Is it a shrink plast or shall the socket be soldered to the housing or.... ? It must be a common problem and I did not find any comments on this when searching the site.
Thanks in advance. Best regards Jan

RICH MUISE

Jan...I just went out and looked at mine..new also...I had put a small wire tie on the rubber boot where it slips over the back of the housing....but it can be pulled off fairly easily. I think before I assemble mine, I'll add some "amazing goop" and put a new American madewire tie on it. Amazing goop is the only thing I've found that will stick to rubber. You'll find it at Home Depot or Lowe's. Made in China wire ties break when exposed to the elements.
Almost forgot..welcome to the forum. Let the goop set up overnight before you handle it much.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rivowner1

Thanks for the advice. I will try that. Maybe I will present myself because I am very new on the forum, today. The Fairlane is equiped with a 351 Cl with a 4v bottom and 2 v heads etc from 1970. Transmission is a FMX from -74 and rear axle from a LTD, think it was from 71. This is info from one of the former owners. Black roof and lower sides with red fields upper sides and hood/trunk. Taking one part at the time and now it is the grille with lights and the instrument cluster with a new speedocable. It did not work until I recognized a small half inch wire piece in the transmission unit/gear. Surely a part from the earlier cable that was tvisted and melted by the neighboring exhaust system. Living in the cold Sweden so it is no cruising time here now. Rgds Jan

RICH MUISE

Sweeden...LOL...guess you don't have any Home Depots over there.  Again, Welcome...we have several from Sweeden on the Forum
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wv 57s forever

the socket should have a spring in it that keeps pressure on the bulb, the bulb keeps the wires from being loose. i hope this is what your talking about and helps.

rivowner1

No, it is the fastening between the socket and the hole in the housing that is the trouble. When I first read your comment I saw a spring over the lamp under the bulb over the socket pressing the lamp with socket forward. It could be a solution but probably not meant to be so and with problems changing the lamp with the park lights in place in the grille. Thanks anyway / Jan