News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Amp gauge wiring on a one wire altenator

Started by Frankenstein57, 2012-03-03 18:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

I'm doing a winter project list on the ranchero, one is installing a gauge panel. I stripped all the stuff off of the 292, painted it t bird red. I repainted the bolt on stuff black. Before I install the headers, I'm cleaning up my ac hose routing,wire routing and stuff. Now is a good time to do the gauge panel. The wiring for the amp gauge has many options. I have a GM (forgive me) one wire alternator, with the 10 gauge wire going to the battery side of the solenoid. Seems to work good, is the amp gauge wiring as simple as running the alternator wire directly to the + side of the gauge, then the - side to the battery post of the solenoid?  Thanks for the help, Mark

gasman826

That's about it.  The scary part is running all that 10 ga. wire through your car and up into the dash with no fuse.  Not only are there voltage drop and resistance with more connections, there are lots of sharp metal edges to chaff wires.  That is why you see so many volt meters.  Some argue that the volt meter is the true test of your battery's capacity and therefore the condition of your charging system.  I don't want to argue which is better but the volt meter can be connected to any fused 12 volt source and to a ground to function without the entire systems load going through the gage.  Easier to wire and safe.  Take care.

Ford Blue blood

Gasman I will argue which is better.  The volt gauge for all the reasons you stated.  A voltage gauge will tell you more of what is going on with your electrical system then an amp gauge will without all that 10 ga. wire.  Just make sure it is connected to a switched 12V sourse.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II