can anyone help me with a rear brake light problem

Started by petepup, 2012-05-26 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

petepup

i have a 1959 custom 300, when the brakes are applied only the left brake light comes on. i seem to have no power going to the orange wire to the right  rear light. i traced the wire clear to the headlight switch is it possible a bad turn signal switch  or headlight  switch,is causing the right rear  brake light not to work? the running light works the turn sig works on the right just no brake light.  yes !rear ground bulb etc has been checked   please someone!!!!  help!!!!!!!!! thanks   bill

gasman826

The turn signal switch splits the brake light signal (current) into the right and left turn signal wires.  If the turn signals both work, it's in the turn signal switch.  Try electrial cleaner first.  If that does not help, dig into the turn signal switch!

petepup

hello  thanks for the info where should i use the contact cleaner  on the actual switch under the steering wheel?  thanks   bill    sorry but i am electrically changelled!!!!!

gasman826

Yep, under the steering wheel.  Can you be lazy and not remove the steering wheel and just spray the crap out of it?  Iffy.  You certainly don't want to hose down every thing in the car.  But you might get away with it.  I would just remove the steering wheel.  Blow the dust out.  Rap a towel around the column and spray it down.  If it works...great!  If not, you already have the wheel off to continue on with the R+R of the turn signal switch.  Good luck.

petepup

hi thanks for the info  this car sat in a garage for over 35 years. it has 7000 original miles on it, everything was gummed up, starter, brakes rad water pump, anything rubber. it does not surprise me that the turnsignal switch is also gummed up.

after i return from ford carsile, i will dig into this problem  if i find a turnsignal awitch there more the better! the car needs a lot of "little stuff"

sitting for so long has its good points it drives like a brand new car, but anythig rubber is worn out  again the help is greatly appreciated! :006: