News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carlisle PA swap meet.

Started by 59meteor, 2024-04-12 07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Now that I live "only" about 1200 miles from Carlisle, I am heading down next week to attend the legendary automotive swap meet in Carlisle PA, just wondering if many of you guys go, or have gone before. Any tips? I understand that it is huge, the largest swap meets that I have been to before were in Portland Oregon. Is it mainly on grass, asphalt, concrete, etc, indoors, outdoors, typical mid April weather in the area, etc. Obviously, one should be prepared for chances in weather, and wear comfortable shoes, but if it rains, are rubber boots really needed, are insects a problem that time of year? We are planning to arrive Weds, and stay until Sat morning, and then head out to some drag races, and maybe car museums on the way back to Nova Scotia. What are the busiest days at the swap meet? Any other things to be aware of, or points of interest between Carlisle and , say, Bangor Maine? Thanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

David70A

Pretty hit or miss in my years of going, with more miss especially with Ford and pre-1970s stuff. I feel like more non-automotive items have come in over time. That said, it's fun. Insects not a problem as field open and it is early in the season. Paved service roads up and down the rows, but lots of grass as well. I also notice that Carlisle shows wrap up earlier in a practical sense; don't bother after Saturday around 2 or so, and go Sunday if you want some quiet time alone.

Weather looks cool with some rain this year, which is not unusual for the spring event.

59meteor

Thanks, David, I ended up having to cancel my Carlisle trip, due to bad back and leg pain the day before we were supposed to leave. Hopefully my health improves for either a later swap meet later in the year, or next spring. A Carlisle (or Hershey) swap is still on the bucket list.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

FiveSevenLiter

Rory,
When you get to Carlisle, I would take the time to go 45 minutes south and drive through the Gettysburg battle fields.  It is quite experience even for a Canadian.
Hopefully it is not your clutch pedal leg that is hurting.
Terry
 :canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Lou

You have to go to Hershey at least once in your life.
In the fall Carlisle and Hershey are only a week apart.

JRD007

On my bucket list, have been going to Portland since 79. Just trying to find a possi to go with. Drive Fly   I tend to buy a lot of other people's treasures.
49 shoebox coupe, 390fe 4speed
57 fairlane sunliner, 312 aod
64 fairlane sports coupe, 5.0l f/inj 5 speed
66 f100, 347 stroker aod
67 ranchero, 428cj tri power c6
57 Custom 427 fe, dual 4bbl, 4 speed.

KYBlueOval

I've been to both Hershey and Carlisle one time each. My experience was that Hershey is primarily Pre-war and Carlisle is more Post-War.
John

BP57CUSTOM

I went to Hershey about 40 years ago, really more than that I can't remember. We spent about three days looking at parts. It rained continually. I'm still wet. I've never seen anything like that since. I'd like to go again but I'm getting too old and I don't have any money. Oh well ,lets go haul some shine. yeehaa
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Lou

Hersey has changed a lot in 40 years.
Rules now are 25 years and older for cars and parts.
If you plan to go to Hersey and/or Carlisle book your room NOW !