News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wurth-it steering U/J grief

Started by Limey57, 2014-02-14 09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My 57 Ranchero is fitted with a Wurth-it steering rack conversion. I decided to take a break from body-prep and finish off the steering. The problem is that the space/distance from the steering pinion to the end of the shaft isn't much to get everything in. I've done it (see pictures) as a lot of the others I've seen seem to have done theirs but it isn't right, it feels "notchy/lumpy" and I can feel something is binding.

To me it is as if all the angles are too tight and the steering shaft needs cutting back further to give less severe angles in the U/J's, but if I do that I can't use the standard column shift (or can I?).

Anyone got any suggestions? I don't want to get rid of the column shift as I want to retain the 3-seater bench seat and I don't want to have to resort to an aftermarket column unless I have to.

Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Your pics aren't coming up on my computer..maybe it's me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-02-14 09:27
Your pics aren't coming up on my computer..maybe it's me.

Not you, just the dreaded red X.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Harry

Pictures not here either.

RICH MUISE

Gary..have you checked out the wurthit website..got lots of installation photos, but I think it was for an automatic.
www.wurthitdesigns.com....Note I only reference that website because you already have a wurthit kit....for new buyers jstfabrications is the way to go.
Hmmm..not sure what vw was trying to tell us..maybe a forum problem..let me try to post a pic here:

VwDrvFnd

Maybe like this, just trying to help!

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

RICH MUISE

strange..wonder why you guys are having red x's come up. Maybe a forum change in file sizes accepted?

Limey57

Weird, the pics were there earlier, now I'm getting a no-show....  I host them on a rod site I use, I guess there could be a problem there?  The photos weren't brilliant quality as I used my phone but VWDrvFnd has managed to show them (thanks).

Anyway, back to the plot.  I had a look at the Wurth site and the angle of my U/J's look the same so I removed the lower (double) U/J and it's still binding, so that rules out the rack and the lower U/J, so I guess I've either got a bent double-D shaft, faulty rod-en bearing supporting the D-shaft, a faulty upper U/J or a bent steering column. I'll investigate a bit further tomorrow.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Now sorted, thanks for the advice everyone, turned out to be something simple/obvious.

The upper U/J is a D-shaft to plain 3/4" diameter which is designed to be drilled & pinned to a 3/4" inner steering column shaft. On the advice of others I dismantled the U/J and also welded it to the shaft from inside the U/J yoke "belt & braces". Where the circle of weld bead started & stopped there was a pronounced lump of weld which was catching the lower yoke of the (assembled) upper U/J when it turned. A few strokes of the file and all is now nice & smooth.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Awesome...but I'd still run a pin thru that welded joint/shaft. better safe than sorry.

Limey57

I have done Rich, anything to do with brakes or steering I always like to have a "back up" just in case one thing fails!
Gary

1957 Ranchero