News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-08-08 13:26
Hope everything with you is ok in so. cal. I've sure appreciated the thorough input you've provided. several questions: Other than the assumed wrong connector problem you hinted at with the detail zone kit...how hard was it to install,  and what was your experience level with similar instals? I know it had to have been incredibly tedious, but is it as easy to follow as the manufacturer suggests?
What was your initial impression of the overall swap with your first drive? and same question with regards to performance with whatever rear end ratio you're running (which is?) and one other question if you don't mind sharing the info..what did the shop that guided you thru the install charge...I think if I remember correctly you once remarked you were helping him with the swap...for his end of it.? Thanks again...Rich

The wrong connector problems were not a minor thing. Given the fact that they knew about "early" and "late" 96 model differences, it shows a complete lack of quality control  and concern for customer satisfaction. You would think, given this, that during 4 phone calls and several emails before the sale some idiot there would have asked a question about what the MAF connector looked like (or something). Other than that, the kit was made up of excellent quality and installed pretty much as easily as they claim. HOWEVER, many people cannot hookup 4 wires to their trailer hitch with an indian guide.

That said; if you came to me with the kit in a box and your car on a lift I would charge you $3k to install it and not a penny less. It's hard to explain. You just have no idea what is involved and 3 grand is a bargain. As "easy" as it is it took two weeks to get it installed.

It's hard to say about performance having driven it only a few miles; but there is way more useful HP with this engine than with my 428. No question. My rear is 3.00 (about the same as the Lincoln).

Bill's Auto Repair in Orange, CA is charging me less than any other customer but is not inexpensive. We have been working 8 hours a day 7 days for 5 and a half weeks. I kid you not. We have all the trick shop tools you could ever want and this guy has 40 years experience. I mention it to give you an idea about how much time and effort goes into this kind of thing. I suppose one guy working alone with jack stands and a cherrypicker hoist could do this job but I would not advise it.

We have about another week to wrap everything up. I think I'll have about $10K invested.

Rideau 500

Been following your build with a good bit of interest, lots of tips. I am contemplating a swap using a 2006 P71 CV donor car. Not as good as your Mark VIII but it moves the Crown along pretty good. I am good at fabrication, have all the necessary tools, career was in electronics, so it is doable. My question is, if you were starting again would you go the same route or something easier like maybe a 351W

Thanks Larry

rclaborne

I need to post script my comments about the Detail Zone/Ron Francis wiring from yesterday.

I stand by harsh yet deserved critique but to clarify my position...

The kit is of excellent quality. Aside from the customer service aspects, I would buy another kit from them if I were to do another project but I would certainly check each and every connector to the engine and trans before beginning the wiring project.

Bob

rclaborne

Quote from: Rideau 500 on 2010-08-11 11:17
Been following your build with a good bit of interest, lots of tips. I am contemplating a swap using a 2006 P71 CV donor car. Not as good as your Mark VIII but it moves the Crown along pretty good. I am good at fabrication, have all the necessary tools, career was in electronics, so it is doable. My question is, if you were starting again would you go the same route or something easier like maybe a 351W

Thanks Larry

I do not know if anyone makes a wiring kit for that year and model. I'm guessing it's a 4.6L 2v.

You will not be able to even start the engine until you have the ECU reprogrammed. the PATS will otherwise prevent you

You should thoroughly research all the components before committing to the project.

My project goals were...

1. Engine was thrashed so I needed a rebuild or replacement
2. I'm sick of building cars and hot rodding like it was still the 60's
3. This is my wife's daily ride so I needed reliability, power and gas mileage in that order

So, a 351W does not fit any of the goals. Maybe a 5.0L efi would but I don't really see that as saving me much.

Bob

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Rideau 500 on 2010-08-11 11:17

Thanks Larry
you will also have trouble with the speedo,there is no place to put a speedo cable.ford removed it in about 2002

Rideau 500

The engine is a 250 HP 4.6 2V. The Crown was an ex police vehicle and as such was not equipped with P A T S. (Who's going to steal a cop car). I was planning to swap everything including the wiring and digital dash. I realize what will be involved but I have been into wiring and schematics my whole life so should not be insurmountable. If I can't make it work there's a good market for boat anchors out here on the coast.

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-08-11 11:50
you will also have trouble with the speedo,there is no place to put a speedo cable.ford removed it in about 2002

Not really a problem. You need a trans sending unit from an early 90's ford (mine came from a 92 Ranger). These units have the digital sensor and the mechanical drive. Then you need a cable that has the bullet trans end and the 5/8 nut on speedo side.

Look towards the bottom of this page for number 7200 (cable that I used)... http://tinyurl.com/yftyktf
Or get the 7300 that has the correct sending unit (bit pricey) or if you want a new sending unit look for #9SS (the one in the 4R70W is like their #8SS). Anyway you can scrounge the sender for $5 at a parts yard. I could not find any car/truck with the correct ends for the cable so I popped the $45 for this one mentioned here.

Stock 57 speedo works fine but need to calibrate with the correct gear. The 17 tooth from the Lincoln is close for now (a 20 reads too slow).

rclaborne

Quote from: Rideau 500 on 2010-08-11 18:30
The engine is a 250 HP 4.6 2V. The Crown was an ex police vehicle and as such was not equipped with P A T S. (Who's going to steal a cop car). I was planning to swap everything including the wiring and digital dash. I realize what will be involved but I have been into wiring and schematics my whole life so should not be insurmountable. If I can't make it work there's a good market for boat anchors out here on the coast.

The Mk VIII is rated at 305 which is only 190 less than the Mustang Cobra. And, that CV motor is not going to be any easier to install than the 4v.

I had the car out today for a bit and I can tell you it really leaps up and goes when you mash the pedal (and in my case were talking the full weight of a 9 pass wagon)

Point is, wrecked Mk VIII's are cheap. Believe me, this is a very involved project; we have 2 guys working with all the trick tools and wiring kit and we have more than 300 hours into this by the time we're done and wouldn't have been a minute less installing a 2v. In my case, it was a lot of effort either way so I went for the HP.

Let me know if you run into any tricky bits; we've seen them all.

Good Luck,

rclaborne

After a few days of driving I had to replace the steering ram end seal. I guess the extra pressure made it go south. Having no water leaks we also drained the radiator and block and refilled with proper mix coolant.

Now the only problem is a screeching noise that occasionally comes from the under dash ac units circulation valve. These r134 units are a bit strange to me so I'll have to get it over to the ac shop to wring it out.

As this project is basically completed I may not be checking this group very often so if questions or the need for help arises, you can contact me at: rclaborne (at) yahoo.com

Bob

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Rideau 500 on 2010-08-11 18:30
i am using the wiring out of the doner car[95 markviii]under hood,dash,fuse panel ect.get a factory wiring diagram manual.i got one for the markviii and has been very helpful[about half done taking it out]

canadian_ranchero

to keep the cost down on this swap,i would buy a whole mark viii and take as much out of it as possible.i have about $1200 in my swap so far and am hoping to do it over the winter for about $2500

canadian_ranchero

trying to decide what rear end gear ratio to run.because the mark viii has a speed cut off [speed limiter],if i stay with the 3.07 the limiter will cut in about 130mph.if i go to 3.56 [the one i would like]the limiter will cut in about 112mph.i guess i will have to decide how fast i want to go.     

RICH MUISE

not my input, but the guy I talked to last year about building a 9" posi rear for me recommended the (I though he said) 3:55 because of the overdrive, and the fact that I wanted more of a highway cruiser than race set-up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

373's are used in a lot of OD applications of late model stuff
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

checked on some mark viii forums.have been told that if i can find a early 93 computer[W3Z2 calibration code]they do not have a speed limiter and have a 6850 rev limiter.if this is correct,then what axle ratio i pick will not be a big issue.[a 150mph 57 ranchero? :burnout:]