News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

I hope all of your various projects are going well. My wife has been driving her Squire around for a couple of months now with nothing bad to report.

I have fixed the fuel starvation problem which occurs when the 57 tank is less than half full. Pretty annoying when you come off a light and it dies; pretty dangerous if you're pulling out into traffic.

Anyway... it requires a low pressure pump and a small tank to feed the injector pump. You can see the setup here: http://public.fotki.com/claborne/57countrysquire-1/assembly/xfertank.html

You can get this trick gadget here: http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/index.php?cPath=131_108
(the pump too but I found it cheaper at Jegs).

Later

Ford Blue blood

Bump for the new guys.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Re$urrected57

Awesome info, thanks to all that contributed.  I have learned quite a lot from this one post.

RICH MUISE

I think we all did..10500 reads!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

wow..I just noticed this has picked up almost a thousand reads in the last month since I bumped it to the top

57dohc

1001?  I just read it yet again and still learned something new.  Its also quite sobering to realize the amount of time this swap is going to take.  And, if it is like everything else, double the cost of what I expected.

RICH MUISE

It sounds like you're where I was for a while. After reading RClaiborns inputs I was really sceptical about trying it. I hung on for the longest time waiting for Canadian Ranchero to finish his swap, but unfortunatly we've seem to have lost him. Gary (CR) was incredible coming up with answers for almost anything. After emailing him and some others, and talking to some knowledgeable guys, I came to the conclusion I was probably worrying more about it than I should, and Claiborn quite frankly was probably making it sound more difficult than it was.
You may have some issues being newer than mine that I won't have, but I've gotten over my worrying about it and looking forward to having it to work on. As far as costs go, I think we'll still be ahead of the curve as opposed to spending big bucks for a more traditional crate engine, even if the swap is more complicated. The two things that's going to add expense that I can see, over a more traditional swap, is the Detai Zone system, and the fuel system. The other engine parts required to make the swap aren't going to be that much money, rearend and exhaust won't be any different. I will say, there's no way I would have tried it without the input from this and other threads.
"we can do this"
PS...I may be up your way in a few weeks. Trying to decide whether to wait for it or do the sunflower swap in Witchita, Ks. this weekend...I need a road trip!

57dohc

Rich;
I do hope you make it up for the Tri-State meet.  I am looking forward to meeting you and maybe get some first hand pointers for my project. I can always use a 2nd opinion! Al

Thor

Rich,
      I will be at the Model T swap meet in Wichita tommorrow. Let me know if you are coming in. Maybe I could meet you somewhere if you are. I live here locally.

RICH MUISE

Tanker....I went Friday.I somehow missed the fact you lived in Kansas, or I would have sent a pm before I left. I decided early Thursday to go on up, so I was already in your area when you posted that. What a bummer!! I'm gonna do a post on the meet in the general discusion area.
Went thru a lot of Kansas I had never been before..you sure got a lot of grain silos up that way. 7 hour drive each way..longer, but a little faster coming home thru OK City on the way back.

57dohc

Thought I'd add a progress report on my project.  I did fit the engine in the 57 frame today.  Pretty much like previous post on this topic which included notching the motor mount plates on the 57 crossmember.  I believe there is picture on this thread that shows this.  Motor mounts seem to line up at an acceptable angle which should  be a simple bolt in.  I did have to trim about 1/2 inch from the "ear" of the upper control arm (drivers side) to clear the water tube outlet above the oil filter.  Oil filter clears and will be changeable without too much effort.  Other clearances are really tight;  adjusting the upper control arms will be an issue.  The Mach 1 exhaust manifolds clear easily and exhaust pipes should hook up.  I do not have any steering controls on the car but plan on using a rack & pinion and hopefully can work around the the exhaust pipes.  I do not have the transmission on the engine at this point so that mount will have to wait.  I am still considering grafting the Mustang firewall and floors in the 57 and that will take care of the transmission mount as it is built in the Mustang floor. It will also make it easier to mount the various Mustang controls in the same way.
Anyway, I knew from the previous posts on this topic that this engine was going to fit, but there is nothing like actually doing it youself for reassurance! Al

RICH MUISE

Awesome. Why don't you order a nice set of headers, and mail me your oem manifolds to get them out of your way. Do those have the oxygen sensors?
I forgot what tranny yours has. Were you able to set to motor in with the exhaust manifolds on, or did you put them on after?
I've been looking at new exhaust manifolds, and the seem to be manufactured with and without the o sensor bung thingies. The ones with the bungs cost double. If I don't put them in my setup, I'll have to have the computer reprogramed..which I don't want to do. Otherwise it'll continue to throw check engine codes. It'll be much easier down the road in case of malfunction if I can just replace with an oem computer.

57dohc

Rich'
Exhaust manifolds stayed on and easily cleared.  The exhaust pipes that extend to the h box have the oxygen sensors on them.  They do appear like they will hook up okay.  The transmission I have is a 5 speed manual.
The exhaust manifolds on the Mach 1 keep really  close to the block and I have read that is similar with the Cobra as well.  Some of the numerous sites I have visited mention looking for these for the mark v111 swap.
If you should still make it to the Tri-State swap meet this weekend,you could take some measurements which may be of help.  I have not lifted on the radiator support to take measurements for clearance there.  I left the inner fenders bolted on to the support and it is too awkward to handle by myself.  Al

RICH MUISE

Unfortunatly I won't be able to make it up there this weekend. Decided to go to Kansas last weekend because the weather was good. I got snowed out of the Denver trip the last two years and didn't want to have that happen again, and not get in a needed road trip. I decided to wait for warmer weather for Colorado so I can spend some time up in the mountains as well, besides, you'll be further along in your swap!!
Interesting about the sensors being in the pipes, and not the manifolds. That'd work for me also. Somewhere I read the O sensors have to be as close to the engine as posible, but if they did the pipes oem that way on some vehicles, should be good enough.

gasman826

Quote from: 57dohc on 2013-02-05 21:30
I left the inner fenders bolted on to the support and it is too awkward to handle by myself.  Al
I have to remove the core support to get the 460 in and out.  I remove the front clip in one piece.  I made a bar to bolt across the inner fenders and use a cherry picker to lift the clip off by myself.  The idea came from the bars for pickup boxes.