News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Core Support Location/Adjustment?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-11-29 12:13

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Rich,I appreciate the offer to get the measurement, but that won't be necessary. I'm going to a Man Mall (Read Junk Yard!) on Saturday, and there are several'57's a '58 and several '59's for me to examine and source parts from.
Do you, or anyone on the Forum know, if these shims and retainers are the same for all 3 years '57 '58 & '59?
Thanks
John

djfordmanjack

Guys, just reposting from what I collected on this forum concerning the front core support hardware ( and what Rich mentioned).
I think Lynn at one time ran a small badge of springs, or at least wanted to have them done, but I never got around purchasing one.

here's some further info I saved in my files

QuoteThe bolt major diameter is nominal 5/8", the threaded end is 3/8"NF. Overall length is 4", threaded length 5/8". Shims are 
2 1/4" square 1/8" thick.

djfordmanjack

more

RICH MUISE

excellent info to add, Guenter. I posted a link in the technical links area to this thread. Too much important info assembled here tnot be able to find easily.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I bought the "pucks" from Carpenter and they were not correct, one should have a bigger hole. I called them and they were upset that this had happened. The shims are a fixed size and number, you vary the clearance by moving them from one side of the spring to the other as I recall. I have some extras if you need them. I would up using the original felt "puck".
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Thanks, Rich, Guenter and Lynn. Very good information. Just what I needed. Going "shopping" at the Man Mall tomorrow. Hope these parts are there.
John

djfordmanjack

This area is ONE important thing on a 57!!
When you first see that assembly and how it carries the whole frontend you can hardly believe that. It is very important so that the frontend with fenders has plenty of room to work, while the chassis twists and bends from road impact. It's a true 3 point mechanical structure, being fixed at both the a pillars and just in the middle at the front. we all know how the body  rubber mounts sag, and chassis twist from accident or hard use and how aligning 57 hoods, header panels and fenders can become a major pain. but the original design is very smart and leaves everything open for proper alignment. When I look at that front radiator core assemely, I still can't believe what they pulled off in Dearborn...  Awesome thinking and engineering. WOW !

Ford Blue blood

Guenter just think about the Retractable.  It is mechanically genius, all done before computers and design software!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Just a thought but the front is connected in three places actually. the center core support bolt/spring and the two bumper ends. So does the bumper flex with the body or does the bumper hold the front end from flexing?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

The bumper is pretty flexible.  I think the inner fender to bumper bracket is to dampen the bumper vibration.  The bumper would vibrate until it cracked and fell off.