News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Overheating woes

Started by 05gt, 2010-01-10 14:58

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Did some research and have a couple of ideas, but wanted to ask a few specific questions. I had the stock Rad. recored last year, and although it does run cooler, it still overheats often when not moving at atleast 30 mph. Tried adding water wetter and running straight water, but will still overheat and boil over if at idle or driving slow for more than 10 minutes or so. Pretty much everytime after I finish driving the car, it will boil out from around the rad cap.

so what lb# cap should I be running for stock trim.

Also, debated on running an elec fan, but am concerned with mounting it, and the amp draw. The motor was bored 30 over, but eveything else is relativly stock on it. Has anyone used mouting bracket, or used the nylon ties that come with the fans? Also, how much drain does it put on the car? The car currently has a 4 blade fan (stock), and no A/C.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

FORDNUT

Your symptoms indicate that the problem is airflow. If it stays cool when in motion and not when stopped or in traffic, it is not getting enough air through the radiator. If you power the electric fan through a relay as it advises, you will not have a power problem. Run 12v to the relay and switch the relay on through a dash switch or heat sensitive temp sender. I almost always run a 6 blade engine fan with a pusher electric for those profiling trips through town.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

geraldchainsaw

before i put a electric fan on i would try a 6 blade first,  if u still have problems go with  the electric

05gt

I've heard mixed thoughts on the 6 blade fan, but am willing to try anything right now. Fordnut, if yo udon't mind me asking, how do you have your electric fan mounted to the rad?

FORDNUT

Either the plastic spikes with rubber pads between core and fan or bracket that holds fan slightly off core work. I have done it both ways and both work just fine.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

05gt

Is there any paticular 6 blade fan that works best for our application? Looking on summit and jegs site, and they have quite a few diffrent ones to chose from.

deereford

Hi, If you have any good salvage yards in your area with Ford pickups up to F-350 and older than 1997 with gas motors or any 70s full size ford cars, many of them come with 5 or 7 blade fans that will fit the 57 ford. Brad

Ford Blue blood

and look at putting a shroud on the car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it!

bagboy

Here is what I did....57RW 351w.1.-you need a schroud[avab. aftermaeket]  2 No more than 7lbs cap on stock rads 3. 7blade fan 4. Fan depth 1/2 way into schroud. 5.  Louver inner fender panels if you can. 6. pop hood open in parade!!

05gt

Not having any luck finding the fans that wr ementioned in local scrap yards. Will most universal fans bolt right up with no problems?

shopratwoody

I don't know what's causing your problem. It can be frustrating for sure. Mine has the 4 blade,030
over 429, cam headers, intake, 10 conv w 3:55's. Goes to cruise in etc with no problem. I have a 3
row hi flo core without shroud and have no problems. When mine was new it didn't have a shroud
and still doesn't. I don't run A/C. Runs 190-95 on a hot day idling at a cruise. A 7 blade will
bring it down 5 or so degrees. I only have a 7 blade flex fan and I don't trust those things. The rad
is stock type with high pressure cap, 12-13 lbs I think. Maybe they made to tank stronger? Been that
way 30 plus years. Every time runs warm it's the radiator.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!