News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Car won't start now

Started by 05gt, 2010-04-03 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Well went out today and changed the oil in it, went to go srt it up, and nothing. Figured battery at first, but that checked out to be fine. When I turn the key, it almost sounds like electricity, and after 3-5 seconds, lights on the dash kick off completly and the car is COMPLETLY dead. If you wait a minute, you can heara faint "pop" sound like a circuit resetting, and then you can turn the key and hear the electric sound again till it all shuts off again. An ideas on what may be causing this? I checked all my plug wires and distributor wires and exertyhing is attached firmly. I just had the car running in the garage a week or so ago with not the slighest of problems. So any ideas?

shopratwoody

Sounds like primary wiring such as connections, grounds. solenoid etc. Double check btry. Till
you get it figured out keep the btry disconnected in case of a short circuit.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

05gt

Another thing i thought of is maybe the voltage regulator? Not sure if it would be these symptoms or not though??

wv 57s forever

check battery cables

Frankenstein57

A good clean ground strap, or two of them. Good place to start. Mark

05gt

Update: Went out and checked my connections, everything seems good. I did run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to see if it was the starter relay, and the car wouldn' do anything. However though, there was a good size spark, which makes me thing either possibly the starter's gone, or the motor is locked up?  When I turn the key, the starter silonoid makes an electric buzzing sound??? I pray it's not the motor locked up though. I did change the oil in it the other day, and was unable to use the filter I had, so i had to wait a day untill i got a new filter to put it back together and fill her back up with oil. I did not put any oil in the filter as it would have just spilled back out. I don't see how it would have locked up, but maybe with no oil in it for a day it seized? If it's not one thing with this car, it's always another!!!

Ford Blue blood

05gt go out and make sure the cables from the battery to the solinoid and the engine block are good.  This includes making sure the battery terminals are clean as well as the post on the battery.  Look at the end where the cable goes into the lead terminal, bend the wire and peak under the insulation looking for corrosion (green color).  Next clean the connections at the solinoid (both sides), make sure both nuts are tight.  Make sure the battery has a full charge.  Next with the key off and the car in park/neutral jump the solinoid from the battery side to the start terminal.  The engine should spin.  If the solinoid clicks and nothing happens it could be the starter or the solinoid.  Next take the starter cable off the solinoid and put it on the battery side of the solinoid, yes it will make a big spark but hold it there very firmly, if the engine turns bad solinoid, if not bad starter.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Car's up and running. Turned out to be a bad starter silinoid. Thanksfully autozone was open on easter!!! Thanks fellas!!!  :003:

Bubba

Glad to hear you got her up and running.
Suggest you might want to invest in a tube of dielectric grease , if you don't have a tube already, and liberally coat all the terminal connections mentioned in this thread. It really helps to ward of future corrosion gremlins.  I have also used a product developed by Boeing called Bo-Shield.  It coats the parts with a waxy non-sticky layer that posilutely and absitively corrosion proof!! GREAT STOUGH!
BuBBA