News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Canister Oil filter....how tight?

Started by 05gt, 2010-04-04 20:20

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Replaced my canister oil filter today, started the motor, and oil came pouring out everywhere around the oil filter. Took it off, plulled the seal back out, put another layer of oil on the seal, and put it all back together. I tightened the filter pretty tight to where I couldnt get her to tighten any more, and I'm guessing that's my problem. How tight do you guys usually make your canister filter? Think i read somewhere to put tighten it untill the canister touchs the block, and then another half turn, but that seems like it'd be to loose? So whats the right way for these cars?

I'm slowly learing learning with this car, just always seems to be the hard way!  :iamwithstupid:

Ford Blue blood

I just kept grunting on the one in my 61 Unibody until it stopped leaking....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KidKourier

When I install mine I take a clean rag and wipe off the mount at the block,put a little oil on my finger and apply it to the rubber seal on the cannister,screw it on hand tight,then tighten it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more using a filter wrench,have never had a leak on any of my vehicles using this method. I was told if you overtighten the filter it would flaten or distort the rubber seal and possible tearing it,causing it to leak! KID

Hoosier Hurricane

05gt:

By cannister, I assume you mean the pre-57 filter with the cartridge inside the can.  If so, make sure the can is seated correctly on the block, there is very little lip on the top side and it is easy to cock the can and it rests on the casting instead of the rubber gasket.

John

geraldchainsaw

KidCourier does it right,    are u sure that u didn't leave the oil ring on when u took off the old oil filter???????????

Ford Blue blood

Guys is talking about the old style vs the spin on?  I understood his question to refer to the old cannister and cartridge setup.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Yes, it is the cartridge inside the can set-up. (early 57 build) Old gasket is off, and new one in place. I seen the little lit that you were making refrence to, and am going to try it again. Just have to get more oil first. Just put it on till all the wiggle room was out of it, then went another 1/2 turn. Guess we'll see how it does this time. I do have the newer style spin on type sitting in the garage, but am unable to get the old adapter plate off to get the new one on.

geraldchainsaw

i take it we're talking about the old style like in my 51 ford,   i never knew in 57 that there was anything but a spin on

KidKourier

Sorry 05gt and the rest of the forum,must have been the earthquake here in SoCal yesterday that vibrated my brain stem causing me not to compute the word "cannister" causing my misinformation! But on the bright side---- if you ever change over to a spin-on,there you go! :006: :006: Rock-n-rollin in SoCal or "A whole lotta shakin goin on"(Sorry couldn't resist) LOL---KID

05gt

LOL, no problem kid! Thinking it's along the same lines though as far as distorting the filter's seal or flatening it out to much. Going to try again after work tomorrow. Have plenty of room to tighten it if it's still loose.