News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Coolant keeps pouring out

Started by 05gt, 2010-05-04 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

So the past 3 times I've had the car out, I'll drive it for maybe 2 miles, and my coolant keeps pouring out from around the radiator cap likes it's overheating, yet the car remains at normal operating temp. Usually the car hasn't even reached it's normal temp before I start to loose coolant. Figured maybe it was to full, but today when I took it out, it was barely even into the tank ontop of the rad, yet i still lost it quickly.

Any guesses on the cause? I'm thinking non-opening thermostat, or water pump failure? Water pump does squeal a bit when you get on it, but nothing extremly noticable. I replaced the rad cap with a new one thinking that was my problem, yet the same results. Any other ideas???

May pop in a new thermostat reguardless......what temp do you guys run in yours?

smurfee

Check for a soft radiator that would collapse under preasure, DON  :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates:
NEVER LOOK BACK

smurfee

SORRY, check for a soft radiator hose,DON :icon_bigsmurf: :unitedstates:
NEVER LOOK BACK

canadian_ranchero

do you have the coolant level just below the baffle below the rad cap?how old is the rad cap?does it leak coolant when it is running or after it is shot off?

05gt

I've tried coolant at various levels, all with the same result. I replaced the cap initially because I thought it may be that at first. The car leaks while it's running. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the thermostat out and run it without to see if it's that or not. I'll recheck my hoses then also.

2x57sedan

drill a small 1/8 hole in the face of the thermostadt to allow some coolant to pass through
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

canadian_ranchero

is the coolant coming out of the overflow tube or from the rad cap seal or from the rad cap neck?

05gt

It's coming out from teh carp neck of the rad. Got it pulled apart today.......Had to use some RTV Gasket Silicon as the gasket I had got bent at some point in time and doesn't want to lay perfectly flat. Going to wait till tomorrow to let it dry completly and then I'll try again. Ended up just taking the thermo out completly for now. I've been having overheating issues the last few years, so if anything, it'll keep her cooler for longer. Only run her april- october, so i'm not to concerned about the heater in the winter. Guess we'll see.

4banger

I have a good original radiator out of my 57 custom 300. It cooled my 427. It was recondition. It was originally hooked to a 292. I made a up date to a Griffin aluminum and have no use for it. $ 150.oo plus shipping.

canadian_ranchero

you may find it runs hotter with out the thermostat.the cooling system needs the thermostat to slow the coolant going through the rad 

05gt

Ended up being the thermostat was stuck open. While I was replacing it, put in a 160, and that made a big diffrence for me. Think I may actually be able to take the car for a real drive this year now, lol!