News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Name this part???

Started by 05gt, 2010-06-14 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

I'm thinking this is an vaccum for something, but not sure what? Car used to mis pretty bad at 1500-2000 rpms. Painted the motor last week and painted over this, and now runs smooth as new??? It's located on the pass. side of the intake manifold between the 2 bolts that hold the manifold to the block. It's a small peice of pipe that's roughly a inch in size and looks like my grandfather crimped it on the end.

If it is a vaccum line, what is this supposed to hook up to? I'm thinking when I painted it that it sealed it better than before.

RICH MUISE

not being a mechanic by any means, I don't know for sure but being old may help on this one...my guess is it was an automatic choke line.
You have your grandfather's old 57? how cool!    Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Might be the heat tube for the choke as that is the exaust cross over to preheat the intake charge when the engine was cold.  Not sure why sealing it would get rid of a miss??????
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Marc

That's exactly what it is, the heat tube for the choke. It runs through the intake and comes out on the other side. On the passenger side there would normally be a tube that goes from there to the choke, if equipped with a thermostatic choke. On the drivers side end of the tube there would be a little mushroom shaped breather.
Painting over it should have no effect on a miss. Maybe when you painted you also managed to seal up a leaky intake gasket?

05gt

Hmmmmm, still confused on the car running smoother, but I can't complain!  Thanks for the replies guys, still trying to learn all of this. I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever end up swapping the carb back out for one with an automatic choke!