News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cal Trac Bars

Started by 4banger, 2011-03-18 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

4banger

Has anyone used Cal Trac traction bars on there 57 Ford ? Like to get your input. Good or bad.

wildhog

A friend of mine has a set on a 55 T-Bird . this thing leaves with the front wheels in the air. They reall work. Go over to the Y-block site and look for Vic's 55 and ypu can see a picture of it taking off. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

Bob Lee has a set on his Custom 300, and he loves them.  Check out posts by 57agin, he has posted photos on here before.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

4banger:

When I get to work on Monday, I'll post some pictures of my 57 with the Cal Tracs mounted.  We did have to do a little frame work up front to mount the bars properly and we also had to change the lower rear shock mounts to take the modern adjustable rear shocks.  Do they work??? You bet, before I mounted the bars, when I came off the line at the Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, I was treading on thin ice with wheel spin.  My last visit to the strip, I came off the line at 4500 and bogged.  Guess I'll have to up the rear tire pressure (MT Drag Radials) a bit. lol  But, the last time I had my 57 on the strip, the 351W was putting out about 300 hp to the wheels, now after adding the Paxton-Novi supercharger at 7 psi boost there is over 475 hp to the wheels.  It shouldn't bog.  I'm looking forward to July, when the NMRA comes West for the first time and we'll see.

Bob
57 AGIN

4banger

Thanks for the input guys.  Also I would like to see your pic's 57 again.  They say on there web site no welding, cutting or modifications, but I can't see that happening.

shopratwoody

John Calvert is a straight up guy. If he says no mods then he's
probably correct. :003:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

4banger:

Here are the photos showing the mounting of the Cal Trac's up front on the frame.

Bob
57 AGIN

4banger

No pun intended, thanks AGIN

57AGIN

4banger:

Here are the photos of the Cal Trac's modification to the lower rear shock mounts.  Hope these help.  As I said they sure do work.  

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

4 banger:

I never took any post installation pictures of the car after the Cal Trac's were installed, but I came across a photo showing Both Rick's 57 and mine after parking them for a car show where we were able to park indoors (great lighting & the air conditioning was wonderful).  These give a perspective of how they look on my car.

Bob
57 AGIN

4banger

Jeff Norwell

57AGIN/...Killer rides!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Bubba

Bros:
Since you've already installed them on your 57, could you post the dimensions that you provided to Caltracs when you ordered your set?
Thanks
BuBBa