News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

master cylinder power brakes

Started by zetterberg, 2011-04-01 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

zetterberg

some times I wonder when all the work will stop and the fun begins.  Master cylinder leaking and got a rebuild kit, but now I am told I may have to bore out the master cylinder.  Is this correct or can I just install the rebuild kit.

Ford Blue blood

You should run a hone down the thing to clean it up.  Putting the kit in with no attention to the bore will result in a short term fix....or as it is know...repeat failure!  You have a 50-50 chance of having a long term fix with an after market rebuild, doing it your self ensures all is proper and no short cuts were taken.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

zetterberg

Thank, any info on what would be best to hone it with?

Ford Blue blood

Most automotive supply stores sell wheel cylinder hones, or at least they used to, I bought mine many, many years ago (1970) and have used it maybe three times.  Use brake fluid as the lubricant and wash after you are done with the hone.  Don't get carried away with speed or a long duration honing, you need just enouph to take the sheen off and remove any scares that may be there.  It has become cheaper to buy rebuilt cylinders and masters as the rebuild kits cost more then the new/rebuilt units.  Having said that sometimes you have no choise buy to buy the kit, then you need the hone.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hogwagon

I used a large cotter pin with some fine sandpaper folded and sandwiched in the pin placed in a drill with decent results when the hone just wasn't available. May not e perfect but in a pinch.

zetterberg

Got myself a honing stone at Princess Auto and it worked great. Did the rebuild and bled the brakes, presto everything good.  Again, thanks for the help.