News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carb to EFI conversion

Started by 05gt, 2012-02-12 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

I did a search but didn't really see what i was looking for. I keep seeing the big push now in magazines for the EFI conversions from FAST, ATOMIC, and a couple of other companys from the SEMA show. Have any of you tried these retro fit systems for their 57'? I'm not sure if these kits would even fit.....I know you'd have to run a return style fuel system, but other than that, shpuld be fairly straight forward. These kits ARE PRICEY though! Most start slightly north of the $2,000 range for the conversion, but including the upgraded fuel system and ignition controls.

Think It's a little much, but just cusrious if any of you have any experience or input on them?

gasman826

Quote from: 05gt on 2012-02-12 22:18
I did a search but didn't really see what i was looking for. I keep seeing the big push now in magazines for the EFI conversions from FAST, ATOMIC, and a couple of other companys from the SEMA show. Have any of you tried these retro fit systems for their 57'? I'm not sure if these kits would even fit.....I know you'd have to run a return style fuel system, but other than that, shpuld be fairly straight forward. These kits ARE PRICEY though! Most start slightly north of the $2,000 range for the conversion, but including the upgraded fuel system and ignition controls.
Think It's a little much, but just cusrious if any of you have any experience or input on them?

These 'kits' have come a long way in the last five years as well as tech and dealer support.  There is at least one that does not require a return line.  Some are auto learn which requires little or no programming.  I a former life, I worked at GM's automotive diagnostics division where I designed and built dealership diagnostic equipment for dealerships (scanner).  So I am really interested in EFI.  So I am doing a Weber intake with Inglese throttle bodies supported by a FAST controller shooting for 750HP on E85.

JPotter57

FAST is by far the best, but like you said quite pricey.  Too rich for my blood, I'll stay old school.  If it were an everyday driver I maybe would consider it.  I would like to use a mod motor and EFI in my daily driver F100 unibody though.

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

A real good setup for daily driving is the speed density used in earlier Lincoln and Crowns on the 302s  The 66 Ranchero I built had an 87 Lincoln 302 with the stock EFI, put a 5 speed behind it with a 3:23 gear, put the pump in the tank, no cats, both manifolds had to O2 sensors, ran like a top and gave 33 MPG on the road if you stayed under 70 and used regular.  The system is easy to install, breaks down to a four wire hook up with and additional wire to turn on the fuel pump relay.  It does need a return gas line to the tank.

I would be putting that system in my 57 Ranchero if it were'nt for the fact that I have a fresh 351C/AOD for it and no 302.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Gasman, that looks like a VERY nice setup! What size motor is that though?

The one thing I really want to do with my car is keep the 312 in it. Theres quite a few cheaper/ easier routes, but I'm really fond of the 312. I'll have to do some more research on the one that does not require the return gas line. I was unaware that such a kit exsisted.

gasman826

That is a 460 bored and stroked to 557ci.  And there are many cheaper alternatives.  I am still trying to remember who offered the single gas line setup.  The 312 thing is cool.  Keep it if you can.  Nostalgia, aftermarket performance parts are really neat and part of the fun is the hunt to find them and then restore and reuse them.  Again...they are not cheap.  From time to time I do see 2X4 intakes and aluminum valve covers for the Y blocks.  FAST supports a 2X4 throttle body conversion system that would be spectacular on a 312!!!!!!
One solution for retro fitting EFI into vehicles that one does not want to replace the fuel tank or just keep it "period' is to add a mini tank closer to the engine.  I seen this on a '68 Firebird.  The gas tank was ok and they did not want to cut it up.  They used as low performance electric fuel pump to pump low pressure fuel up to this mini tank that was hidden behind the headlights.  The mini tank had a GM style submerged EFI pump in the bottom of the mini tank.  All the pumping was kept to a minimal and just in the engine compartment.  Very clean and neat.  Another advantage to this system is the containment of air bubbles.  With the flat bottom tank and a low fuel situation, fuel could surge away from the fuel pickup and pump air bubbles to the engine.  A carburetor vents the air bubbles without missing a beat.  Pump an air bubble to a EFI system and the engine dies.  Without serious modifications to a vintage fuel tank, this problem is resolved.  Just when you think that you know everything...something else pops up!!  In a '57, this system could be easily hidden between the fender and the inner fender!!!!

05gt

Very good info and some food for thought. Looks like i have some homework to do and some decisons to be made. But like you said, that's half of the fun!! Thank you for sharing!

57 imposter

25gt ......I know this is a late reply but just in case you haven't done anything yet,
we just finished installing a fast EZ system on a 472 Cadillac in a 39 LaSalle. This install included a new stainless tank with a tanks Inc in tank pump and all new stainless lines. In other words no corners cut and everything installed and adjusted properly. On two test road trips of about 250 miles each the best he has been able to get is about 15MPG which is two miles less than he was getting with the carb. as you read carefully through the instructions you learn that the system really needs a "pure" RPM signal which is available only through the installation of a complete MSD ign. system.  So another approx 550.00 on top of the nearly $3000.00 allready spent on the injection kit, tank, lines and pump, we have a new MSD system sitting on the bench. We are trying to find time to install it. Don't get me wrong, I love fuel injection my car has a 5.0L Mustang Gt and AOD, the 61 Uni-Body I finished last year has  4.6l Mustang GT with a 4R75W. I have vowed never again to use a carb.  but so far, I am not convinced the Fast system is all its cracked up to be. I know that MSD has released their knock off version of the Fast system and they claim to corrected all the problems that Fast system has. If a guy had a buck for every time he heard that, none of these expenses would mean anything. If you or anyone else has tried the system with better results, I would love to hear from you.