News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heaters and Air conditioners

Started by 512Fairlane, 2012-02-13 21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

512Fairlane

What is everyone using for heaters and air conditioners in their 57s?  Has anyone adapted an air conditioner out of a mid 90's ford.  I have a 95 Mustang that I'm considering using as a parts car.  Could I use the whole heater box, evaporator, etc. from the Mustang?  Anyone done anything like that?  Or would I be better off using a Vintage Air type set up.

Ford Blue blood

I'm of the opinion that the better money is with the after market unit.  The Mustang unit might be able to be cut up and altered to fit, check it out first, but.......the after market units have more flexibility in prices and sizes.  The controller for them comes in different styles, pull out the fresh air vent for the passenger side and use a factory air glove box (it is not as deep as the regular box) and that bad boy will be real close to being hidden from view.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

After market!!  I used Vintage Air.  Its a self contained box.  Fill all the holes and get rid of bugs, mice, and water leaks.  Three different contoller options to fit your needs.

ROKuberski

I have a good heater and used the a/c kit from nostalgic air.  It's was only about $750 and other than their kit, you will need to install a GM self regulated alternator ($35 at salvage yard - the 12SI is the better unit.)  Their compressor sits where the generator is.  The install is easy and the replacement of the generator with the alternator is easy too.  Any 3 wire 10SI or 12SI alternator should work.  You still have the idiot light for the "GEN" in the circuit when hooked up.  Their hoses are furnished without the ends crimped on.  The place that you have the unit charged can likely do that for you.  I thought I would buy a crimper, but they are not cheap, in the $150 - $200 range and it is not something that you are likely to use again.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/ford-underdash-ac-kit-1951-and-newer-445.php

My unit cools the entire car and I usually run the fan on low speed.  It is a noisy fan when on high speed, but it will freeze you out if you want. 

I had the entire installation complete in less than 8 hours.  I could have had a local shop do the work for about $2,000 - $2,500 (that includes furnishing the equipment and labor) depending on the estimate you used.  So, I figure I made good wages the day I installed the kit.  Charging cost me another $75 plus $20 for crimping the hoses.

Good luck,

Rich 

Frankenstein57

Just opened the June issue of rod & custom, page 64. They have a how to article on installing AC on a 57 ranchero, 460. Nice step by step with lots of pictures. Next month they are installing the Vintage air under dash evaporator unit. You didn't say what engine you have, but this article will be helpful regardless. The pulley system looks a bit pricey that they used.  Let us know how your project proceeds , Mark

RICH MUISE

COOL (pardon the pun) did they say which unit they were installing? Sounds like it will be real helpful. I sent my Gen-4 mock-up unit over to Pat Fleishman's and I understand he used it to mock up 3 different cars...haven't talked to him yet for feedback.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Rich, the unit they are installing is a gen IV.  Getting in some serious cruising up here, we had 83 degrees two days in a row, all time records for March.Been a nice 2 week run of 70's. I finished up a bunch of updates, painted the engine & bolt on parts Y-block colors. Put a different power, dual master cylinder on, with proportioning valve. Fan shroud, clean up of wires & hoses. New lower control arm bushings, new rear shackles, replaced cheap chinese shifter with a hurst mystery shifter, new fuel pump, wires, cap, plugs. Gauge panel, all of these updates made the car that much better to drive, what a blast. Now on to finish the interior.  Mark

512Fairlane

OK my project has changed a little.  I found a good deal on an 89 Mustang 5.0 with AOD so I am stripping everything usable off of it including the motor, trans, ac compressor and condensor, wiring, power brake booster, etc.  I'm going to see what the AC box would look like under the dash.  I'll probably go with the Vintage Air under dash unit but use the compressor, etc. from the Mustang.  Thanks for the tips I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Frankenstein57

Nothing wrong with salvaging some useable parts, anyone with some wrench skills and time can certainly make this work. I posted last summer on my system, I used a 60's under dash unit with a new sanden compressor and vintage air condenser. The big cost for me was the plumbing fittings, most of the after market stuff uses o ring connectors, the newer ford stuff has the o ring, spring lock connectors. The 60's stuff had flare connectors. Some of the ford condensers I collected had steel lines coming out, I could have welded a new style end on the tube and saved buying a new condenser. The hoses I had made up at a company called Hyquip, they didn't have anything for the Ford spring lock fittings. Mating the mustang plenum to the 57 defrost  duct will require some creativity, good luck and keep us posted.  Mark :004:

gasman826

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-03-16 07:12
Just opened the June issue of rod & custom, page 64. They have a how to article on installing AC on a 57 ranchero, 460. Nice step by step with lots of pictures. Next month they are installing the Vintage air under dash evaporator unit. You didn't say what engine you have, but this article will be helpful regardless. The pulley system looks a bit pricey that they used.  Let us know how your project proceeds , Mark
With the great weather, I'm a little slow at keeping up with my reading.  I just breezed through that article.  Looking forward to the next article.  See if I did it correctly.  IDIDIT, the steering column people are local.  In the winter, they sponsor three or four Saturday morning vendor sessions.  Vintage Air was one of them.  That session was really interesting and very helpful.  Their instructions are word for word and step by step.  I did not have to call tech support or redo anything.