News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

electric wipers

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-06-01 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

Does anyone have knowledge on the 57 thunderbird wiper motor wiring. I am working on a two speed motor that won't park.
there is a red wire that is hot when the key is on here is also a white, blue all three go to the switch and a black wire coming out of the motor that someone has taped off and I can't figure out where it went. anyone got any ideas?

Hoosier Hurricane

You have some kind of aftermarket or home made conversion, as '57 T-Birds all had vacuum wipers from the factory.   John

bossguy

I remember a tech at work saying the wiper motor is hot all the time and you turn the ground on and off to park the wipers. I don't know it thats true or if it applies in your case but he was master certified. i would think the black is ground. Any numbers on the motor?

gasman826

I snooped in the aftermarket wiper motor world a little...enough to be told that there are two kinds of motors.  One that is feed power all the time (with ignition switch on...typical OEM).  The other gets power through the wiper switch (typical aftermarket). 

Did the wiper switch and wiper motor come from the same source?  Most OEM systems had the wiper motor hot so using an OEM switch with an aftermarket motor may not be a match.  The typical aftermarket setup is powered through the switch.  One terminal on the switch will be the PARK.  Might be marked with a 'P'.  With your system plugged in and working (except for the Park feature), test the remaining switch terminals for voltage.  There's your park.  If no voltage, switch is not a match for the motor.  I bench tested mine until it worked.  I just used a battery, jumper wires, multimeter, and test light. 

Pictures of the wires and the back of the switch would really help.

57 imposter

Thanks guys. we will fuss with it some more today. I do know that the motor is hot when the ign switch is on. I will try and get better info on what the switch is doing. . I am not sure if the voltage is coming through the switch or from some other source.