News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

kick down on a 4100 autolite

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2012-10-31 15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

hey Guy's
   I talked to Tom S and he suggested a thread on this subject. I have a 4100 carb, I'm putting it on a 351w with a c4. My problem is the kick down, The # C6Af A is for a 66 Tbird with auto tran. My question is what was used for the kick down? Is there a part on the throttle that I don't have with mine (see Pic) ? or did they have some thing different? thanks for the help!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ford Blue blood

The kick down for the Birds (61 - 66 I know for sure) (have a 65 under restoration right now) was done at the linkage on the back of the intake manifold.  Only one link going to the carbs in those cars.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

Blue blood,
   Can you send a pick, or a place I could order one? Would a aftermarket brand work, if so, can you suggest one.
Thanks,

57 Ford Kustom

I forgot to add that currently I have a cable kick down, Had a edelbrock.
Thanks,

Ford Blue blood

Tim I will try to get a shot of the linkage and scan the tech manual diagram.  This will take a couple of days.....I would recommend contacting www.lokar.com as they have the adapter for the AOD cable and that will work for your setup.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

57 Ford Kustom

Blue Blood,
   Thanks for the valued input, I emailed them this am, haven't heard back. I can wait for the pic's, cars in the garage for the winter anyway, with the engine half torn apart! LOL
Thanks,

sprink88

Thanks Blue blood as I am doing the same thing too.
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

Blue Blood,
   Do you have the part # for that adapter? The response I got from Lokar tech was " we do not offer anything for your application, you will have to make your own". What kind of response is That?????
Thanks,

57 Ford Kustom

Blue Blood,
   I see on evil bay that they have a couple of ford 352 engine autolite carbs for years 65, and 66 that have a kick down, Why don't the tbird carbs?
Thanks,

Ford Blue blood

Haven't got the fogiest idea, just know how the Birds are set up.  My 63 1/2 (many years ago) was a 4-speed car, Z motor with the 4100 on it so no kick down.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

57 Ford Kustom

Blue Blood,
   Do they reman the bird set up? or do you know the part # for the Lokar part. It is beginning to look like I may have to buy another carb just for the kick down lever.
Thanks,

Ford Blue blood

Not that I know of.  Google Thunderbird and contact a couple of the vendors listed, I know one in OR deals with used parts and is very responsive.  It will be pricey to retro fit the Bird linkage as it is a real "interesting" lash up.  You should be able to fabricate a kick down bracket using dimensions off a laqter model carb.  I'll try to get the info I have posted today.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KULTULZ

I am sorry I didn't get back to you.

As stated the mid-sixties BIRD had the kick-down rod actuated off the bell-crank and did not have the kick-down lever on the carb throttle shaft.

If you previously used a LOKAR cable as a kick-down, you should be able to piece enough parts from them to mount on the 4100. Would you like me to help or is someone else helping you?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks guys for all your time and effort, somewhere on this site I got hooked up with classic@championmustang.com. They specialize in the autolite carbs, and sell parts for them! :icon_biggrin: I was able to purchase the throttle assemby with the kick down for $50.00 +$5.25 S&H. :hello2: If anyone is looking for Autolite carbs, or parts, go there, great, and helpfull guys! Just like here! I can't begin to tell you how Blessed I am because of this site, and the Guy's on it! :occasion14:
Thanks,
Tim  :unitedstates:

Tom S

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2012-11-01 16:52
Thanks guys for all your time and effort, somewhere on this site I got hooked up with classic@championmustang.com.
........ I was able to purchase the throttle assemby with the kick down for $50.00 ........I can't begin to tell you how Blessed I am because of this site ...
You might return the help & help someone else here by putting up a direct working hot link to that kick down linkage that you bought.  I saw someone else was doing the same thing you are trying to do.  I found that, or at least one, 'championmustang' site but couldn't find what you bought.
A link to those Autolite carbs you saw on ebay that have a kick down would be nice too.  You have me curious to see what they look like now & it might take a long time to search those out.  You have already seen them so I assume you could find them again without much trouble?