News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headers heating up Master cylinder?

Started by 05gt, 2013-09-01 11:55

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Well I recently installed a disc brake conversion for the front my 57. The kit uses a 2 master cylinder now, which is only a 1 1/2" - 2 " from the headers on my 312 when all mounted. Drive it last week to a car show, and noticed when I popped the hood that it looked like the fluid had overheated a little and ran out from under the lid of the master and down the side. It wasn't very much and didn't affect braking, but I would like to be proactive with this. Has anyone else ran into this, and if so, how did you combat the heat? I thought about wrapping the headers, but IMO, it doesn't look very good and I hear it can lead to early rusting due to trapping in moisture. Looked into the DIY ceramic coatings, but have heard all types of mixed reviews. Any other suggestions?

Tom S

Quote from: 05gt on 2013-09-01 11:55
Any other suggestions?
A simple, thin, sheet aluminum heat shield between the header & the M.C. & attached to the M.C. mounting bolts should do it.

Better yet would be a nice shiny piece of stainless sheet. Wanted a little bit of real thin stainless sheet metal for something.  Stainless can be expensive at a sheet metal shop & I was surprised that I didn't already have quite what I wanted in all my metal 'junk'.  I hoard anything stainless like it is gold.   :naughty:
Went to a Salvation Army "Dollar Store" or whatever & hit the kitchen pots & pans section & found a stainless cookie sheet or some sort of serving platter for a buck or two.    ;D

Tom S

I also gotta wonder why any fluid is leaking out of the MC lid in the first place.  Unless the rubber lid gasket is screwed up nothing should be coming out of there.  Otherwise just the brake fluid sloshing around in there would be leaking out all the time.
Was the MC too full?  Did you feel how hot it was?

Ford Blue blood

Brake fluid will expand.  My Ranchwagon had an issue with the brakes getting really really hard after an extended drive.  Figured heat was causing that and to a certain extent it was.  Found the real cause, fixed it and the hard pedal went away.  I mention this because the brakes worked perfect until the heat soak.

Given if all is right with the world the heat should not cause you any issues.  As said I would look at the fluid level and the gasket on the lid.  The heat shield idea is good also.  My 58 Edsel has a heat shield under the master cylinder, was a factory installed item.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-09-02 07:10
...brakes getting really really hard ... Figured heat was causing that and to a certain extent it was.  Found the real cause, fixed it ...
Now ya got me curious.  What was the real cause or what was heating up?

Ford Blue blood

The push rod was not seating in the puck in the master cylinder.  Bottom line is it was about 1/16" too long, maybe just a RCH shorter.  When I pulled the bolt on the brake pedal the push rod was under just a little bind.  Got it seated properly and the bolt slid in just like it should and I had a good solid 1/8" - 1/4" play.

After all the looking and taking apart and adjusting I figure the heat soaking caused the puck to expand just enouph to close the hole from the reservoir to the cylinder and not allow the fluid to expand back into the reservoir.  No way of knowing for sure that was the cause but fixed the push rod problem and all was good.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

05gt

Good idea's guys. I feel like I did fill the MC to much when I finished bleeding the brakes, so with a little heat, that may answer that problem. I just concerned the heat will mess up the rubber parts in the MC and any little springs inside of it. Good idea about the cookie sheet to. Pretty inexpensive idea to try and see if it works. I know what you mean though about hoarding stuff. I still have parts for cars I haven't owned in years!

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-09-02 08:32
The push rod was not seating in the puck in the master cylinder.  Bottom line is it was about 1/16" too long ...
Ahh!  I be surprised if the heat would expand that little puck/piston enough to make a difference.  But I understand the problem with the hard brake pedal.  Had something like that once.  Brakes started dragging harder & harder & getting pretty hot.  Easy fix once I realized that I'd adjusted the push rod too far.       

gasman826

Ceramic thing.  Had my headers professionally coated and polished.  Still looks like dull chrome.  Huge heat difference!  I've singed many knuckles on hot heaters.  I've bumped these a couple of times and was surprised not to be burnt!  Still look good after eight years.  Version 2.0 will have a couple of header modifications.  I have a dedicated oven and plan on a little DIY ceramic for the modifications.  We'll see.