News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door handle return springs

Started by 57 imposter, 2014-11-10 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

Has anyone found a source for the spring that returns the inside door handle. I can find them for a 1957 Thunderbird but am afraid the dementions might be different.

jwtdvm

May have to buy the button assembly--only right hand side is available but I think the spring is the same as the left side--MACS  Dearborn  Ecklers  Concourse would all have them--Carpenter as well  I would also say that I just put a new assembly in my car and I had to file on the door handle a little bit to allow it to move freely in the handle--At first the spring would not return the button-it would stick in the down position--I guess with new chromed handles and new button assembly a few spots were sticking--but again a few minutes with a file got it working fine

RICH MUISE

I may be wrong, but I think imposter is talking inside door handle, and your talking outside release button. As far as an inside return spring, It's been along time since I put mine together, but I don't remember any springs other than those built into the door latch assembly.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

your right rich, this spring returns the inside door handle when you release it. there are two similar springs on the door latch assy. but the one on the door handle is made from a heaver gauge steel an would assume it to be quite a bit stronger. I may just have to see if I can find a nice guy at the Thunderbird store and see if I can get him to measure one for a 57 bird. I know I found that the door wire conduits for a 58 to 60 thunderbird, fit the fit the 58 sedan doors perfectly so I might get lucky. I've had good luck with Southwest Thunderbirds so I think Ill give him a call.

57 imposter

FOUND THE SPRINGS FOR A 57 T-Bird at Macs. The nice lady I talked to is going to have someone measure the OD of the spring, if it will fit into the space in my door regulator bracket, I am going to order two and hope for the best. Man, it is just one thing after another when you are trying to restore one of these old pieces.

Arocket0

Larry's thunderbird & mustang parts: www.larrystbird.com

Part # P21812C. Door latch spring 54/59 at $5.25 each.
These are the correct springs.