News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EMS headlight mounting panel

Started by Wirenut, 2012-02-08 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Has anyone installed one of the headlight mounting panels from EMS. I got mine in today and looks like its going to be a major task fitting where it meets the fender side body line and the lines where it was pressed are not crisp and as sharp as needed to match. looks like it was pressed with a worn out press or dull stamp. Any suggestions from previous expriences?

RICH MUISE

Kerby...mine were not from ems and were probably alot worse than yours. The sharp corner radius that is required to get a nice tight looking seam on the outer portion of the fender was about a 3/8 radius on mine, with the backside bowl shaped..not flat. I figured the panels I had never received the final finessing. The problem was easy for me to resolve because I had already decided before I even got the panels that that was one of the seams I was going to eliminate. I just cut the back side off, spent a few hours with a hammer and football-shaped dolly held in my vise (Harbor freight..10 bucks), carefully ginding away the last of the metal to be removed and buttwelded the seam. I have a pic of it in the under construction ares of the gallery.. the second page.
I don't have a clue what peploe do when the're doing a factory spec restoration..I don't think they'd be usable without hours of hammer and dolly work by someone much more talented than I.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

I am thinking I will have to but weld as you did. I am not against that since I am not restoring without other modifications. I appears I would need to do a considerable amount of dolly work. I have contacted a supplier that I have been purchasing parts from to see if he has a damaged fender I can get the piece from before I bit the bullet. I also considered cutting and fitting new and old to get what I need but some of the original parts are too far gone. I do appreciate your response and will look for your posted photos of what you ended up doing.. My condolences regarding your sister in law..

57 imposter

Crap...you guys are scaring me. I just passed up a chance to buy some pretty good orig. panels thinking that i would be ahead just buying new.

Wirenut

Remarkable job on the finished fender. I had repaired the original fender but was not content with the way it turned out, I thought I would be better off with the replacement.I like the looks of the seamless application and may end up that way. I too would have to pass if the seam were to go back as original, my metal fabrication skill are lacking. Much more than yours from what you were able to accomplish..I defiitely recommend originals to anyone needing the same repairs.

gasman826

Quote from: Wirenut on 2012-02-09 06:45
Remarkable job on the finished fender. I had repaired the original fender but was not content with the way it turned out, I thought I would be better off with the replacement.I like the looks of the seamless application and may end up that way. I too would have to pass if the seam were to go back as original, my metal fabrication skill are lacking. Much more than yours from what you were able to accomplish..I defiitely recommend originals to anyone needing the same repairs.
I also tried a couple of aftermarket patch panels.  I was very disappointed and sent them back.  The radius on the patch panel to the front header panel is no where near a match and this joint can not be welded together unless you are not going to disassemble the front.  I felt lucky to find a couple of NOS panels.  I thought $125 was a little much. But since installing them, I think they were well worth the money.  I have seen them sell for as much as $200.   

Ford Blue blood

Gasman is correct!  The NOS stuff might be pricey but it is dead on with respect to fit and details.  My 57s require nothing exotic (floor pans and rockers) but the 60 2dr wagon I am on right now needed a quarter, the NOS part I paid a pretty penny (and sveral hundred more) has all the details of the original wheel well opening which is very intricate.  A piece I bought out of MI couldn't have been hammered into a correct fit.  The bend radiuses were so large if you got them hamered down to factory the panel would have been too long!  That part has been cut into several small patch panels.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mtwilsonboy

I just bought two off of them too, and the fit was terrible so I sent them back and asked them for OEM panels they said they had for 83.00 a piece more. When I got them they looked like the ones I sent back. I wish I would have put amark on the ones I sent back so I could have proven it. I just decided I would not buy panels from them any more and make the ones I have work.

rmk57

The sad part about all this is you can buy a "new" 57 Chevy body. This months Hot Rod magazine has all the write up on it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Mtwilsonboy...who did you order your panels from...sounds like a dealer rather than ems directly if they were offering two different panels.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-02-09 19:24
Mtwilsonboy...who did you order your panels from...sounds like a dealer rather than ems directly if they were offering two different panels.
Rich
I ordered from EMS. I allways had some issue with my order when ever I ordered from them. I allways emailed  EMS directly.

57 imposter

I'm confused, has anybody talked to EMS about their quality? The reason I didn't buy some orig. panels was because I had a good picture from their web page and the panel quality looked really good. From what you guys are saying ,it sounds like the actual product looks like something someone made in their back yard. Until I actually have to have the panels ,I think I will try hard to find some good stock pieces.

Roger

Here is a guy in Centerville Ohio with a few fenders for sale needing lower patch panels for $50. a piece.
http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/2837652538.html

Wirenut

Thanks Roger, I sent him a message I appreciate the help..

Meteorman

After seeing the photos Rich showed i understand what you mean about the seam, to avoid this problem if it is not rusted near the seam cut the existing panel an inch or two from the seam then trim you new panel to match,it is a lot easier to make those edges fit each other without the fold in the panel, this way your seam stays  original. If you can butt weld it, always try to avoid over laps but if you do over lap any where make sure you put weld through primer on both sides of overlap it will avoid it rusting after getting hot when welding. Just because you buy a patch panel you dont have put the whole panel in. We frequently just cut the rust back to where its solid and trim the new panel to suit.this way you can leave lots of your original seams, edges,body lines alone. I hope this makes sense guys, Im an autobody mech, writing was never high on my skills list. good luck Harold