News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57-58 Frames,any difference ?

Started by Zapato, 2012-02-10 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Curious as always, are the 57-8 frames the same ? Having owned both in the past am aware the 58 steering box was an obvious improvement. But if we're just talking the frame rails, crossmembers and body mounts are they twins ?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Lou

57, 58 are the same, I think, but I'm not sure that 59 is the same also.

Zapato

thanks Lou, thought they were wanted to be sure. do believe 59 is a horse of a different color.

Zapato

canadian_ranchero

just make sure match the models[custom frame is different than a fairlane ect.]

gasman826

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-02-10 13:08

Curious as always, are the 57-8 frames the same ? Having owned both in the past am aware the 58 steering box was an obvious improvement. But if we're just talking the frame rails, crossmembers and body mounts are they twins ?

When I was mocking mine up, I had more than one frame.  Too many parts...too many times togather and apart and I am not sure if I used the original frame or not.  But anyway, are the engine pads different and the steering box mounting??  Don't know just asking.

Ford Blue blood

The steering box mount and splines for the pitman arm are the same from 57 - 64.  Engine mount pads on the chassis differ some.  57 & 58 are the same, those in my 60 are different then the 7 & 8s.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

gasman, any shots looking back towards your rear end suspension and mounting ?

Zapato

gasman826

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-02-12 10:04
gasman, any shots looking back towards your rear end suspension and mounting ?

This picture is the only one that I have.  I need to take more the next time the body is off.  Several years ago, the Power Block web site for Xtreme Four Wheel had the formulas for four bar and triangular four bar (link) suspensions.  I did some other research in chassis books to comfirm these formulas.  I cleaned up a 9" housing, jigged it up, narrowed it, re-enforced it with a back brace, added link and air bag brackets, and assembled it with Strange 31 spline axles, Detroit Locker, and SVO/Explorer disc brake kit.  Nothing is ever perfect but I would not change much if I were to do it again.  No side to side movement.  No noise.  No bind.  Super ride.  Low as it can get without draggin' frame (or the gas tank).  Adjustable and strong.