News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

anyone own a 96 or 97 mustang?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-02-12 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I need to verify the on-the-steering-column controls on a 96 or 97 mustang. The one I am using on my '57 of course came from a salvage yard donor, so I had no way of knowing for sure what the multi-function lever actually does. I suspect the wiper controls also functioned as a headlight dimmer.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

512Fairlane

Rich I have a 95 Mustang which is essentially the same car except it has a 302 instead of a 4.6.  The turn signal lever has intermittent wiper controls (dial).  Push it forward to switch to high beams .  Pulling it back will flash the high beams but they won't stay on.  Pushing it in towards the column sprays the windshield washer.  Does that column work pretty well in a 57?  Are you using the air bag?

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info on the wiper lever..you just confirmed what I suspected. I am not going to use the airbag. If you want to see what it looks like in a '57..check the gallery..under construction section, page 2, about 1/2 way down. My interior is modified a bit and I think the mustang wheel works great for my usage, but no way is it going to look right in a stock looking interior. It took some substantial cutting away of the lower dash and restrengthening. My reason for the late model column was to eliminate as much from the dash as posible....wiper controls, ignition,hazards,ect. I jumped on the Mustang perhaps a little quicker than I should have, as I later thought I could have found a wheel/column that also had the headlight switch. Also, it gave me the added advantage of a tilt wheel and saved me about a grand over the flaming river column and wheel I was looking at.

512Fairlane

Thanks Rich.  I'll check out your pics.  My 95 Mustang has several bolt on hop ups.  I was planning on selling it to finance our 57 build but I also had the wild idea to remove the entire drive line from the Mustang along with the AC/heater box, computer, etc. to put in the 57.  I was considering using all of the wiring and everything since I probably won't be able to sell the Mustang for the amount of money it has in aftermarket parts.  The Mustang is still in good shape but by the time I sell it and find a donor car to get all of those parts I may be money ahead in the long run.  Still debating between a 5.0 fuel injected motor or my left over 460.  We change our minds daily.

RICH MUISE

Forgot to mention..it also gave me the added plus (I think) of being easier to hook up to my rack and pinion set-up. I paid 80 bucks for the one in the picture, as it had ignition switch damage and the plastic surround as you can see in the pic. I bought a second one cheaper than that because it had the airbag deployed, but even still had the keys in the ignition. The two combined cost me about 150., and gave me some spare parts,as well.