News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

WaterNationals 2011

Started by 57AGIN, 2011-02-26 00:21

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Rick and I got rained out again for the 2nd straight time at the WinterNationals (2010 & 2011).  I still got to see the qualifying for Pro-stock, Funny Car and Top Fuel yesterday.  Today was another story, rain by about noon.  The good news, Rick and I got to see the real cars (door slammers) Stock & SuperStock run this morning.  Lots of good wheel standing and no damaged cars.  John Calvert was there with his 2011 Cobra Jet (a 351W based 428 small block), his many times winning 1968 428 FE Cobra Jet, and his fairly new 1964 Fairlane Thunderbolt (clone).  Maybe Rick and I will be able to get a "Rain Out" pass for the World Finals next November.  We still had a good time in spite of the weather.

Bob
57 AGIN

shopratwoody

Bob,
I think the Winternationals is rained out more than not. Especially
for the doorslammers, sometimes he dfoesn't get out of there
for days. His sons are driving the other 2 cars. FWIW, he doesn't
consider his Fairlane a Thunderbolt clone. :003 It is beautiful.
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Ron:

You are absolutely correct and I extend my apologies to John and his Thunderbolt.  His car is exact down to each and every bolt, etc. in the car.  I'm sure NHRA officials would not allow the typical T-bolt "clone" to run in the stock classes like John does, if it weren't exact.  I was led to believe in my brief discussions with John that the car was not one of the "original" Thunderbolts produced back in 1964, but I could be mistaken.  'Nuff said, I will never refer to John's Thunderbolt as a clone again.

By-the-way, I was sure surprised to see the clear sky's yesterday and although I haven't had a chance to watch the qualifying sessions, I did record them on the DVR.  Again, I'm just glad ZI had a chance to see the stockers run on Friday morning and I'm looking forward to using the entry slip for Friday's rainout next November for the World Finals.

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

A local guy from North vancouver who lives just up the street from me won Comp eliminator in a J/A chevy of some sort.
Kinda makes the 3000 mile round trip worth while.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

rmk57:

Yes, and he definetly must have amazing skills on both the tree and top end in order to not break out of his dial in.  I don't know what the NHRA Rules are, but J/A must be some kind of small block powered Chevy.  If he trophied, he had to wade his way through a mess of much higher powered cars.  Here is the results NHRA posted for his altered class win.

Bob
57 AGIN

W/L  Driver               Class  Index    RT        ET   Ov/Un

(W) Rob Harrison             J/A   8.16  0.017     7.610 -0.550
(L) David Rampy             A/EA   7.81  0.076     7.249 -0.561

2:05 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 62 degrees, relative humidity 34 percent, barometer 28.57 inches, adjusted altitude 1,983 feet.
Two top eight eight qualifiers come to the line for the Championship. Both cars are altereds, but old school vs. new school execution.

Rob Harrison has a 0.16 CIC penalty; David Rampy has a 0.03 CIC penalty.

Harrison gets a big advantage off the line and easily holds off a charging Rampy to secure the 2011 Competition Eliminator Championship.

Rob Harrison's MOV: 0.0486 seconds (approximately 12 feet).