News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

TRIBUTE to CARROLL SHELBY

Started by 57AGIN, 2012-05-31 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Although this is not directly related to 57 Fords, given Carroll Shelby's influence on the auto industry and all of our Fords was profound, I think it rates a discussion thread.  As a result of owning a Shelby vehicle I was invited to participate in a Tribute to Carroll Shelby at the Peterson Auto Museum.  Naturally, I invited Rick and the two of us went to the Museum for the Tribute last night.  It turned out to be quite an event and interesting night.  All the Shelby vehicles were allowed to park on the top of the Museum's parking structure (on the roof).  There were spaces allocated to the original Cobra's, GT 350's, GT-40's or the later production Ford GT's, the Shelby GT-Hertz's, Shelby GT's, and modern Shelby GT 500's, as well as other makes of Shelby vehicles.  The roof of the museum was covered in Shelby's. 

Rick and I wandered around talking with Shelby owners about their rides and taking lots of photos.  We then went down to a patio outside a large tent which was to house the Tribute ceremony, got a couple of drinks and some hors d' oeuvres, ie., Terlingua Chile, nachos & cheese, Texas Caviar (actually a black eyed peas & onions mix), etc. and people watched while enjoying the treats.  The people we watched included Hollywood types, attorneys, auto dealers, Ford Motor Company representatives, friends of Carroll and lots of business types associated with the auto industry.  Rick and I shared a table with a couple of Catholic Priests representing a Children's Foundation that Carroll had benefactor-ed. 

At 6:55 p.m. I went up to my car and fired up my Shelby GT along with all the Shelby's present there and through out the US (maybe the world, as this was apparently coordinated by Shelby Clubs everywhere). 
At about 7:00 p.m. after shutting down my Shelby, I joined Rick down in the Tent, very high tech, air conditioned and various displays of blown up Shelby historical photos, TV cameras and sound crews.  This wasn't a revival tent, it was a portable movie studio.  The Master of Ceremonies Jay Leno came out and started the Tribute and told of his involvement with Carroll and some interesting sidelights from his perspective.  Jay then introduced Edsel Ford who spoke about Shelby and his Ford Motor Company involvements over the years.  Next Jay introduced Dan Gurney, who competed against Carroll in various road races before Carroll retired from racing.  Dan related his association with Carroll as his competitor, owner of the racing team that Dan drove for in winning the World Championship away from Ferrari, later business partner and finally as a friend.  Very inspiring.  There were several more speakers from outside the auto industry relating their association the Shelby from different perspectives.  These were equally inspiring. 

Carroll Shelby did lead a full and storybook life and it was good to hear about him from these friends and colleagues.  Rick and I both had a great time at Carroll's Tribute.  R.I.P.  Carroll Shelby 1923 - 2012

Frankenstein57

That's awesome stuff, thanks for sharing. So when do we get to see the Shelby's on the roof? :005:

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-05-31 20:25
That's awesome stuff, thanks for sharing. So when do we get to see the Shelby's on the roof? :005:
Ditto what he said
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Great man!  Wonder if the tribute will be re-broadcast?  I was at my wife's mother's funeral and out of touch with the rest of the world for almost a week.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Meant to reply to your pm reply, Bill. My condolences to you and your wife on your mother-in-law's passing.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Guys:

The following several replies will be devoted to the Shelby's present on the roof of the Peterson Automotive Museum at the Shelby Tribute last Wednesday. 

57AGIN

Here are some more photos.  These are of the First edition GT 350's and GT 500's.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Finally these are some shots of the Ford GT's and Cobras that were there.

Bob
57 AGIN