Allan & Julie's from Christchurch, NZ visit to Long Beach, CA

Started by 57AGIN, 2012-06-09 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Hi everyone:

Last night I met up with Allan & Julie, proud owners of a number of 57 Fords.  Julie drives a 57 T-Bird restored by Allan.  Allen drives a very nice 57 Sunliner, although according to Allan and the news paper he brought with him (The Press) Christchurch, NZ has been receiving their once every 20 years or so "warm advection" snowfall.  Their flight was delayed at least one day, but they arrived here OK and are temporarily residing in Long Beach, CA right near the Traffic Circle on Pacific Coast Highway.  For all you guys that haven't been to this area in Southern California, the "Traffic Circle" is what the folks in the British Empire call a "Round About."  IO believe it is the only one on California's famous Highway 101.  I drove my 57 over to where they are staying until tomorrow to give them a map of how to get to the almost famous Donut Derelict Saturday morning car show in Huntington Beach, CA.  They were also interested in joining me at a car show I had entered in Fountain Valley, about 5 miles from the Donut Derelict show.  Sure enough they showed up around 9:30 a.m. and we had a great visit in between their checking out all the Detroit and Dearborne iron on display.  They are really neat people and plan on stopping on their travels to visit with Rich in Amarillo, TX and maybe some others on their way to a Back to the 50's Show in Wisconsin.  Later today they will be joining me & Rick here in Los Alamitos, CA after they have completed some additional shopping for car parts & tools.

Today there were only three 57 Fords at the Fountain Valley show, mine, a Country Sedan (nice looking 429 powered project car still under construction) and a very nice 351 Cleveland powered Black Ranchero.  Although a meager turnout of 57's, our marque was pretty well represented.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are a couple of photos of Julie and Allan along side Rick's 57.  Enjoying their trip to the USA.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Sounds like they got off to a great start in your neck of the woods. I'm assuming that Fountain Valley show was at Mile Square Park...I use to live a mile or so from there in the Green Valley subdivision...back when there were still some strawberry fields left. With the day's delay they had on their flight, I hope they still have time to stop for burger (there's an old burger joint 3 blocks from my house on old 66 that's been there since 1946..the year I was born) and a look-see at my project....they'll get to see how the poorer part of the country lives. LOL.
By the way Bob..on the east coast where I'm originally from, those "traffic circles" are known as rotaries...as I'm sure Lou knows.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Nice...want/need/gotta see more of that yellow wagon!

57AGIN

Robhaerr:

Ask and ye shall receive (but only if I have what you are asking for).  lol

Rich:

Yes, they are looking forward to meeting up with you as they are passing through Amarillo on their way.  Really neat couple.

Bob
57AGIN

robhaerr

Thanks!

Man...I bet that runs like a wild ride with a nasty tone!

F570RD

Are they coming to "Back to the Fifties" this week?I know Falcons are still happen down there way.They are welcome for a ride in a 60.My 57 will remain on the trailer.

57AGIN

F57ORD:

I believe that is their ultimate destination.  As we talked here, they indicated they are going the Southern route, first to Arizona, then on to Amarillo.  They intend to drive about 500 miles per day and end up at some big 50's show in Wisconsin or Minnesota???

Bob
57 AGIN

F570RD

Thanks Bob.Do they have a lap top to keep informed.It would be nice to see them being I'm from the Twin Citys and 20 minites from the show.

57AGIN

F57ORD:

I believe they are both monitoring this site, as well as their home email address.  I will contact them on the email address I've been in touch with them to see if they want me to put their email address on the web.  His "handle" on our site is "Alstoy" under Members, but the email address on our site is different from the one I have.  We'll see, I'm sure they would love to get in touch with you and other 57 Fords International members on their "Holiday."

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

They should be here anytime now..they arrived in Amarillo last night. Unfortunately it's raining here this morning. I might be wrong, but I thought "Alstoy" was the other New Zealander we had on this website....the guy who has the blue and white wagon he built with his sons. I think Allan and Julie's handle is "Kiwiragtop"...but I'll check when they get here....and see if they need a computer.
Rich

F570RD

My email address will not allow me to get email from Australia or New Zealand.Hope this won't trip the works.

RICH MUISE

F57ORD:Allan and Julie would like to meet up with you. They don't have a computer with them, but they are logging in at the motel computers. If you post your phone number they will call you. If you want to send them a pm with your phone number, I was correct in my above post...Alstoy is another New Zealander (North Island)..their handle is Kiwiragtop.
Allan and Julie were able to spend a few hours with us and we really enjoyed their company....they are just a delightful couple...Hope to do it agin on their next visit. I was amazed at what he was telling me about the number of '57 Fords in New Zealand...he estimates about 4000 of them. He has owned and worked on a large number of '56,7, and 8's, both his and other people's that he restores. He does really impressive work.
LOL...if anyone is driving down I40..watch out for a car driving down the wrong side of the road.
Rich

57AGIN

Guys:

Sorry for the bum steer on the email address for Allan & Julie, it sure as heck isn't my first error and I'll lay money that it won't be the last either. lol

Rich:

Loved your comment about watching out for the car driving on the "wrong side of the road," from our perspective anyway.  When I took Allan for a short drive in my 57 to show him where a Frisco's Burger was near his motel in Long Beach, we ran into (almost) a woman driver driving on the wrong side of a divided road while she was attempting to get to the street Allan and I was on to make her turn. LAUGH OUT VERY LOUD

Bob
57 AGIN