Allan & Julie's from Christchurch, NZ visit to Long Beach, CA

Started by 57AGIN, 2012-06-09 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

glen b henderson

Bob, do you have a good picture of Rick's rear wheelwells?
Freedom is not Free

57AGIN

Glen:

Yes, I have a couple.  See the 2 I've attached.  If you need more pictures or info, just ask Rick on this Forum, he'll be glad to oblige & tell you what he did.

Bob
57 AGIN

glen b henderson

Thanks Bob, looks alot like what I'm trying to accomplish.
Freedom is not Free

57AGIN

Guys:

Here is the latest on Allan & Julie's trip to the Back to the 50's show up North.  They stopped today in Memphis, TN and toured Graceland.  They will head to Nashville, TN tomorrow, then onto Cincinnati, OH.  Being Ford lovers of course they will stop in Dearborn, MI, then on to Chicago.  They plan on getting to the Twin Cities on or about the 20th or 21st of June.  Their journey ends on the 29th when they get on a plane back to New Zeland.  Sounds like a trip I'd like to make, too.  I received a call today from Allan and the number that showed up on my cell phone was (562) 387-8145 (I certainly hope this isn't another one of my "bum steers"), but give it a try if you want to contact Allan & Julie.

Bob
57 AGIN 

F570RD

gasman826

NASCAR is running at Michigan this weekend.  May want to adjust travel.  Either spend Father's Day at the track or stay way away.

wildhog

I have tried that number and no contact yet. If Allan & Julie see this please give me a call. You should be close to me in Illinois, also I will be headed up to back to the 50's on Thursday morning. Always park in about the same area, so a lot of the 57 Ford guys, stop by and say Hi.
Tom Drummond
Midwest Director 57 International
ph. 815-871-8017
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

I was in a little bit of confusion last week on Allan & Julie's trip...couldn't figure out how they were going to get so far in such a short period of time...especially when Allan told me they had planned on diverting from the old rt 66 "a bit" to see Memphis. Memphis isn't exactly a small detour. Finally I realized last week that the Dennis Carpenter calender, which lists all of the events they were participating in, and where I was getting my info on the show from, had the back to the 50's show listed for this weekend..not next weekend as I have now realized it is.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

F570RD

Spoke with Julie this morning.They are in town and finding there hotel.Also spoke with one of our painters at work who is from New Z.Trying to get my mind (ears) right.Weather looks great for Friday........Well,that was fun to meet Allen and Julie.Tom had a pretty good spot through out the weekend.This show can be overwhelming.With Saturday having a crowd of 100,000 people and 10,000+ cars and trucks.

Frankenstein57

Am I the only one who is wondering how this tripped finished up? Talked with some folks who were at  Back to the 50's  , they said it was great, over 11,000 cars, but attendance was down. Maybe economy, gas prices, who knows. Its been hot as Hell around here for a couple of weeks, maybe that has something to do with it.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark..like you, I've also been wondering...I've been watching for a follow-up for a while now. I'm thinking they were going to Hawaii after the 66 trip, before they went home. Maybe they'll log on soon and fill us in.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

milo1957

on the last day of their trip to the US, they came by my place before their flight.  Allen bought the old v-bar i had and we spent a few hours looking at the 57's i have laying around!  really great people!  we had a great time hanging out!!

wildhog

Allan & Julie Spent the Wednesday before Back to the 50's at my home, We went to a local Cruise night, and spent the rest of the eveing looking at my 57 stuff. They travled with us up tp Minn. and they spent the next 4 days, hanging with my friends and I. We had great spots at Back to the 50's and a lot of people stopped and said hi. They both said it was the best car show they have ever been to, the weather was great and we all had a good time. Allan has called a couple of times since they have gotten home, and he is working on a short story and some pictures to post on this site. I will also post a few pictures from Back to the 50's when I get a few bugs out of my computer. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

kiwi ragtop

Hi guys my computer is playing up I only get about three lines then things start turning to crap.I will try to get it sorted out asap then I will be able to acknowledge the good friends who helped make our trip better than we could imagine

cheers Allan

kiwi ragtop

Hi guys,                                 Part 1

Time to do the postmortem for our trip across the USA.

We arrived in Los Angeles a day late due to a severe snow storm in Christchurch which delayed our departure. Upon landing in Los Angeles, we made contact with Bob and Rick, it was good to catch up with these guys as we hadn't seen them for a few years. I had been following Bobs restoration of his 57 Custom, however the photos do not do this car justice, the work done to restore this car is something to be seen. Bob you and Rick should be very proud of what you have achieved your car is simply gorgeous.

We left LA for our the road trip on the 10th of June, we hopped on and off Route 66 at various stages along the way, we managed to catch up with Rich and his lovely wife in Amarillo, again due to time constraints we didn't get much time but the time was well spent looking over Rich's first full restoration on his 57. He is doing all the work himself and the result is unbelievable, again can't wait to see this one finished.

We deviated off the mother road to go to Memphis to see Elvis's house, then along to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniel's distillery where we met a local who told us about a car show in Shelbyville this wasn't on our plans but we decided to stay the night and attend the show, so glad we did we got to see a fully restored Supercharged 57 Retractable.

Part two to follow.