Allan & Julie's from Christchurch, NZ visit to Long Beach, CA

Started by 57AGIN, 2012-06-09 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwi ragtop

Hey Guys                        Part 2

From Shelbyville we headed to Nashville for the night and a good dose of country music, not really my thing but it was worth a look. The excitement began to grow as we arrived in Dearborn and all us Ford guys know why. We set aside the entire day for the visit to the Henry Ford Museum, which also included a factory tour of the Rouge Plant, this is by far one of the best museums in your country and the reason for that is its not just a car museum, it takes you on a journey covering everything from the first motor vehicle as well as flight and train travel if you have the opportunity this museum should not be missed, we will defiantly visit again.

At this time in our trip we made contact with Tom Drummond aka Wildhog he made us a very generous offer to stay at his house and travel to the Back to the 50s with him and his friends. Tom is a true 57 guy, he has a large collection of memorabilia which he was kind enough to show us, he even gave us a couple of items to take home and add to our collection. Tom also showed us his latest project a 57 Ranchero. This Ranchero will be one of the coolest Ranchero's going around when finished. I thought I knew a bit about 57 Ford's however, Tom has probably forgotten more than I know. One of the highlights while staying with Tom was going to a small cruise night, his friend brought down his 10 second 55 T-Bird drag car Y Block powered of course.

Well that's it for this entry part 3 to follow . . . .

gasman826

Good to see you have a memorable time!!

The Henry Ford is a jewel.  The Rouge Plant tour is a plus.  At first I was disappointed because the tour does not go to the old four stack part of the plant.  It is only the newest assembly area and very impressive and well worth the time.  Great kids thing but the adults won't be bored.  There are several great museums in the area.  Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin had 128 vehicle brands!  Add in the Great Lakes and some race tracks and there is so much to see.  I've been working on a day tour as a extra event for a car show and have found so much stuff to see that it is tough to plan a one day tour.

kiwi ragtop

Hey Guys             Part 3

Thanks gasman for the insight into other attractions in the area. On our next visit we should have more time to explore other opportunities in the area.

On Thursday we left Wilhogs place in convoy with some of his friends heading for St Paul, I think it is roughly about a 5 hour drive. Upon arrival we got an insight into how big this event is, there were cars everywhere. On the advice of Tom we took photos as we seen cars of interest and this advice proved invaluable. After registration we retreated to our motel.

Up early Friday morning for day one "I would just like to mention the best device ever invented for tourists is the gps unit we wouldn't have a hope in hell of finding our way around without one" once we arrived at the event it wasn't too difficult to find Tom and the rest of the guys, as they have a regular spot every year. The day started at about 7.30am at the entrance gate and I think we left somewhere around 8.30pm that night.

After day one we needed to buy another memory stick for our camera, with the event enrolling close to 12,000 cars there was plenty to take photos of. Day two was very much the same as day one but we were still seeing cars we hadn't seen before. Day three starts with the swap meet and wind down of the event. The only disappointment I had was the fact that I could not buy everything I wanted, Air New Zealand has a bit of an issue with oversized and heavy car parts. The point being if it didn't fit in our luggage we couldn't take it home. The Sunday is really only a half day and then people start to head home.

My personal opinion is this would be one of the best car shows in the country it is extremely well run, and very user friendly for spectators. You guys on the west coast really need to make an effort to attend this show at some stage.

What makes an event even more special other people that you are there with special thanks to Tom's friends Marty, Mary, Jim and Suzie, and the big guy Dennis. These guys are real humour.

Footnote you must try the local delicacy pork chop on a stick! simply delicious.

Part four to come.

wildhog

Just recieved a nice package from Allan and Julie. I now have a New Zealand Lic.Tag (MR 57) .If things fall right they may try to come back next year. Thanks again Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

Allen and Julie...very late reply, but it sounds like you had an awesome time along with Tom and his friends...glad to hear it. I've heard very little about this show and am going to try and make it in the next year or two.
Tom..."Mr. 57" New Zealand plate...how neat is that...your going to have to think about changing your wildhog tag
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

Rich, Next year would be a good year to go .It is the 40th Anv. and they will put on a good show. Almost 13,000 cars and a 100,000 spectarors. this year. Come up north, we will show you a good time. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)