News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

2013 Winternationals

Started by 57AGIN, 2013-02-15 01:19

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Guys:

No this thread is not really about the Winternationals, although it is a great drag race.  This is the first time in 3 or 4 years that rain hasn't impacted the racing.  This thread is actually about 2 really nice looking 57 Fords on display at the show.  Don't know how they got invited but I took a few shots of each;  This first series is about a 57 Custom, the Galpin Gasser.  Galpin Ford sponsored a number of Ford racers during the 60's, I'm pretty sure this must have been one of them.  Enjoy the photos,

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

The second 57 is a Ranchero, FE 427 powered, named "Trucker's Truck."  I went to the Winternationals today with one of my friends from my high school years.  50 years ago Alan, his girlfriend, me and my wife went to the 1963 Winternationals.  It was my wife's and my 2nd date.  My friend Alan was the best man at our wedding in 1967 and is a former drag racer, although he traded his Fords in for a GTO and currently drives a 2011 Challenger and a PT Cruiser.  Oh well he's still a nice guy.  Anyway, we were on the way out of the races and came across these two 57 Fords, I just had to stop and take photos.  Enjoy!

Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr

I hardly ever miss the Winternats.

Work has gotten in the way of playing hooky and I have to go out of town on the weekend.

Gorgeous weekend...so unusual for the Winternationals...usually rainy!

I saw the Galpin Gasser somewhere recently, can't remember where...nice.

rmk57

Were heading down to the Hot Rod 65th anniversary at the Fairplex in March spring break. I'm hoping to see these and maybe a few others like this. Looks like Larry Morgan's qualified #15, just can't seem to get that Mustang in the top half of the field.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are a few more photos taken at the Winternationals today.  Rick and I went today and had a great time.  Photo #1 is of a really nice looking T-Bird on display.  Normally I wouldn't waste a photo on "just another T-Bird," but, I thought this one was kind of special.  Check out his power plant (photo #2).  Yeah, I know, it isn't a Ford in a Ford, but I think in this case it's OK.  And I couldn't resist taking a photo of the "Bird" holding the Bird, behind the T-Bird.  LOL

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are some more photos taken at the Winternationals today.  These are much more on topic for our site.

The first one is of the power plant for the Galpin Gasser.  It is a small block Ford, stroked to I'm not sure what CID.  Today Rick and I met with the owner of the Galpin Gasser, Mr Steve Carpenter.  We spent quite a bit of time swapping car info, stories and info about our 57 Club site.  He is shortly going to replace the engine shown in the photo with a fresh small block stroker of the 383 CID version.  I believe it is the engine replacing the crate 347's.  We've arranged to see if we can get him some special recognition at the Knott's Fabulous Fords Forever show in April and involved with our Club site.  We'll see.

The next two photos are of another nice 57 Ranchero parked next to the Galpin Gasser at the Winternationals.  The lime green "Trucker's Truck 57 Ranchero wasn't there today.  But, this Ranchero looked to me to be a pretty darn good replacement.  Don't you think so, too?

Bob
57 AGIN

The

robhaerr

That T-bird's gotta Hemi?!? Love it.

I have seen that Ranchero at local car shows around the "Inland Empire" area of SoCal...badass. No sheets of plywood going in the back of that one with those massive tubs and tank! I thought I had some photos of it but can't find them right now.

RICH MUISE

Nice to see so many well done '57's. They all look great. Since you said you went to the show with Rick, I'm assuming that good looking lady with the good looking bird in the good looking cart behind the good looking t-bird was not with your entourage? I'm hoping to see some '57's in Phoenix in two weeks, with 5 diferent shows I'm going to.Thanks for posting.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

robhaerr:

We are definitely going to have to get together in the near future, swap 57 stories, etc.  Rick and I need another couple of Southern California 57-a-holics to pal around with and hit the local shows together.  I love what you have done with your wagon and the stories that go along with it.  I've maintained a pretty good "build book" covering my 57 since I bought it in 1998, but the "build video" you have done on Project 302 is really a great idea.  I sure hope to see you and "Project 302" at the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm on April 21, 2013.  Rick or I will be doing a post on how to register for that show. 

I received permission yesterday from the Ford Car Club Council to put together a meet/greet & autograph session of a number of the Ford Drag Team from the 1960's.  We should have 4 or 5 of the Ford racing legends, along with Miss Hurst, Linda Vaughn, at the show provided they are well enough (most are in their late 70's or 80's now) and haven't got scheduling conflicts.  I've also been authorized to get about 3 of the vintage Ford drag cars to be part of the display.  I'm trying for an A Factory Experimental (A F/X) maybe a Ford light weight Galaxie and a Cobra Jet. 

Besides having a good time showing my 57 and Shelby GT, along with Rich and his 57, I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of cool 57's at the show, too.

Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr

Bob...

I don't actually there is an "end" to Project 302!

However...the 'wagon is looking to hit some shows and cruise nights this year.

I would really like to make the the show on April 21...bring on the details and web site info!

Thanks!
Rob