News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 fairlane 500 frame/chassis

Started by wilnutt, 2019-07-20 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

Looking for a rolling chassis. Preferably something solid I can swap under my current 57.  I'm on the east coast, North Carolina. Thanks for your help in advance!

alvin stadel

I have 2 57 retractable frames, both titled. Don't know if they would fit or not, I'm sure they would need to be shortened. Not sure about wheel base diff.  Take care, Alvin

wilnutt

Please PM me with details and pricing. I'll look into the modifications needed.

suede57ford

I wouldn't recommend swapping chassis.   The VIN number is stamped in 3 places on the original frame.      If the car was ever to be sold into another state or ever go through a large auto auction they may check the frame numbers.   It the frame numbers don't match the title or door tag that car may be seized or at least become unable to be titled or registered.    I understand rust, collision issues, or stages of a restoration making another chassis look appealing, but at least the rails containing the stampings would need transferred to the new chassis for purpose of repair.  That process may not be appropriate in certain situations as well.  Be careful just swapping frames around as your efforts could destroy a cars ability to ever be resold or registered.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Lou

Do not try and modify a retractable frame to fit a Fairlane or Fairlane 500, find the correct frame. As for frame numbers, I've never done a 57 but have done 2, 55, I ground off the old numbers and restamped the numbers from the body I was putting on.

Ray

Once again, contact Steve Pierce in 29 Palms, CA he has scrapped dozens of 57's over the years and still has a large number of parts. (310) 631-0053
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

wilnutt

Quote from: suede57ford on 2019-07-23 13:04
I wouldn't recommend swapping chassis.   The VIN number is stamped in 3 places on the original frame.      If the car was ever to be sold into another state or ever go through a large auto auction they may check the frame numbers.   It the frame numbers don't match the title or door tag that car may be seized or at least become unable to be titled or registered.    I understand rust, collision issues, or stages of a restoration making another chassis look appealing, but at least the rails containing the stampings would need transferred to the new chassis for purpose of repair.  That process may not be appropriate in certain situations as well.  Be careful just swapping frames around as your efforts could destroy a cars ability to ever be resold or registered.

I appreciate your concern. I plan on shaving/smoothing the frame before powder-coating, so that shouldn't be an issue. I can always restamp if need be. It's also been in the family since the late 60s, it's not going to be sold.

wilnutt

Quote from: Ray on 2019-07-23 19:43
Once again, contact Steve Pierce in 29 Palms, CA he has scrapped dozens of 57's over the years and still has a large number of parts. (310) 631-0053

Thank you for the lead. I'll look into this. Sadly enough, it's going to cost at least $2k to get it shipped here as I'm east coast, not west coast.

cokefirst

Every state is different, so what one state will accept, another will not.  As long as you don't intend to EVER sell the vehicle, you may be able to do almost anything.  I was a police officer in California (now retired) and some of the old things that used to be accepted are no longer allowed.  I own 5 old Ford vehicles starting with a 1931 AA.  back in the that period, Ford stamped the engine number on a pad on the side of the engine and then that number was stamped onto the frame of the vehicle when it was installed in the assembly line.  I pulled my body off to do a repaint and attempted to find the stamped vin number on the frame.  I found it but it was barely legible.  The truck (I have owned it 40 years) was registered to me under the stamped number on the engine that was not an original Ford serial number.  I had the engine rebuilt with insert bearings and the rebuilder put a different block in the truck and now I have no numbers matching my title.  I fortunately have a friend who is with the CHP and he sent his Vehicle theft guys to my building to verify the vin for me so I could straighten the title out and get it registered with the frame VIN.  Ford also sold the stamps to their dealers (you can still buy them online) so that when an engine got changed, the dealer could stamp the original number back on the block and it would match the title. 

This practice is now highly illegal in California.  I even asked about restamping the frame VIN with the stamps so it would be more legible and was told NOT to do it as it would look like VIN fraud.  Bottom line, I cleaned the area as best i could and sprayed a clear coat over the frame vin and left it at that.  Advice on what can and can't be done is probably a little different in each of the 50 states and then throw in the US territories and it gets more complicated.  California requires a VIN verification on any vehicle that was registered out of state, when it is being titled in California. 

It is a good idea to contact the State Police or a knowledgeable DMV person in any state where you are registering a vehicle.  I would hate to see someone spend a pot of money on a vehicle that will be difficult or impossible to sell and register elsewhere.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

wilnutt

Bump to the top... I have no concern about selling in the future, the DMV, etc.  :deadhorse: Just need to know if anyone has a lead on a solid 500 frame. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Norm64

Hi Norm here I?m in Ohio I have a really st free frame off of a 4 door custom that I parted out a few years ago no rear end but front end intact throw me an offer

Hoosier Hurricane

Wouldn't a Custom frame be two inches shorter than a Fairlane frame?   John

RICH MUISE

A Custom frame won't work for a Fairlane, sorry Norm. As John stated (almost), the wheelbase is 2" shorter on a Custom, putting the differential off center on the Fairlane's wheelwell . I believe the Custom frame itself is somewhere around 4" shorter.
Other than that, welcome to the forum, Norm!
PS, Norm, your frame would only work for Customs. The Ranchero, station Wagon, and Courier are also based on the Custom's shorter platform, but I believe the crossmembers are different on the back half.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Norm64

Well I tried to help it is the same length as my courier and you are correct about the rear crossmember it is different but nothing a grinding wheel and welder couldn?t fix

wilnutt