News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old gunky gas tank

Started by rxsuperhero, 2010-04-01 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

rxsuperhero

Last month I pulled the gas tank that was sitting on my 57 for years.  It was really gunky.  I drained it then let it sit with new gas and some tank cleaner to see if it would clear some of the gunk out.  Any recomendations on how to clean the tank. 

Bubba

Yes!
Years ago I had a 46 Ford suffering from the same malady.
First step is to get yourself some marbles or a couple of fistfulls of small hex nuts.
dump them in the tank, add a can of acetone and shake the hell out of the tank to loosen the rust and gunk.  You may have to do it a couple of times. Then get a gas tank restoration kit from the folks at POR 15 and follow their instructions.  The kit is about 74 bucks.
Their toll free number is 800 726-0459.  Here is the web site info.
http://www.por15.com/
BuBBa

57AGIN

Rxsuperhero:

Another possible option for you would be to take your tank to a radiator shop that does the "Gas Tank Renu" process.  I had this done to my 57.  The tank is thoroughly cleaned inside and out (I'm not sure what they do to clean it, but my guess is that it involves some very caustic chemicals) and then they coat the tank inside and out with a ruberized coating.  Walah, no more rust issues inside or out.  I think the process cost me around $150.  I thought it well worth the expense.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

I tried to go local radiator shops, and the local gas tank renew place, no luck. I decided to do it myself, check out the post I made for KBS coatings. Stuff worked good, time will tell. They do have a video you can look at to see if you are up for it. Mark

wildhog

ANOTHER THING THAT WORKS BETTER THAN A HAND FULL OF BOLTS IS A SHORT PIECE OF SMALL CHAIN, IT IS HEAVIER AND CLEANS BETTER . PLUS IT COMES OUT IN ONE PIECE, TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Bubba

Great suggestion Tom!
I had forgotten about using a length of chain.
Getting old, the second thing that goes is your memory :003:!
BuBBA