News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body type 73B WINDOW SEAL

Started by popd24, 2010-07-19 19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

popd24

Can anyone tell me where to get the window seals for the fixed windows behind the rear doors? My CD maintenence manual says the original part number is 26894. I can't seem to find them online anywhere ( or in the catalogs).  THANKS! P.S. This resoration stuff is really addicting...This site helps a ton!!!! GREAT TO HAVE IT!

Ford_Crazy

The 57 Business Coupe 70D fixed rear seals are availbale from Dennis Carpenter.  Maybe you can cut them to size and use them in your car. 

Marc

I've been looking for those for years, no luck. None of the aftermarket suppliers have them. Dennis Carpenter is sick of me calling them and asking them to make them. Just not enough demand to justify the $$ involved. You might be able to cutting down the 70D seals, or have a glass shop make up a set. They wouldn't appear stock but if sealing is your main concern that might be an option.
Mine do a good job sealing, they just look like hell, so I've left them alone.
I believe there may be 4-door cars of other makes from this era that have a similar window. 55 chevy 4-doors, and I think maybe 59 pontiac 4-doors had a quarter window similar to ours. It's not something I've ever taken the time to check out, but it might be another option. Again, it wouldn't appear stock, but it might at least keep the water out.

Ford_Crazy

If you have never installed the 70D gaskets before, they can be a hastle.  I went through two sets before I got it right.  Lay the glass out on your bench and place the seals around the glass for a trial fit.  Notice how it wraps around the glass and the ends fit.  I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the gasket flat to the glass before installing it in the car.  I used big metals clips from Office Depot to hold the gasket to the glass while it dried.  Once you have the gasket glued firmly in place front and back, install the glass using the string method in the shop manual.  Mine came out beautiful once I worked it out.  Good Luck!