News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

T-5 Install Questions ??

Started by kens65fb, 2010-11-16 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

1957 Ranchero with 302 and t-5. questions

1.  Should I use a late model clutch cable setup, or hydraulic setup
2.  How is either setup installed ??
3.  What headers will fit ?

CDN.SD

Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions, but if you are planning to use a bench seat, I highly recommend that you check the clearance from the shifter to the seat before you get too far along.

With a T-5 adapted behind a Y-block, there isn't enough room for the mustang style shifter, and an S-10 tailstock/shift tube/top cover has to be used. (At least that was my experience with the swap.)
Necessity is the mother of butchery

hogwagon

We have a simular plan going here with a Ranch Wagon Poss 351W as we plan to tow so I will be watching this closely and treasure any and all info.
On the shifter- I recently saw flyer on a long curved shifter arm for bench seats. Is it the shifter arm or the location thru the floor that is the issue?
Any guides to other posts or links to pictures that help would be gold

CDN.SD

The measurements I took, indicated that the shifter base, (the part coming out of the trans that the actual shifter bolts to) would be almost right up against the front of the seat, with the seat all the way back.

It was a couple of years ago that I measured it, but I'm sure that I did it repeatedly, and correctly, because I couldn't believe that the seat on a Fairlane wouldn't clear the shifter, while one on a T-bird was supposed to.

It MAY work with a different motor, but the measurements I got made it look like it wouldn't with a 292/312.

Necessity is the mother of butchery

kens65fb

I will be using a 302  with a T-5 with Bucket seats.

Frankenstein57

If I could ask what motor mounts are you guys running? I have a 351W with a mustang (fox) bellhousing, T-5, and motor mounts. Looks like I need to alter the tunnel. I think the only change from the 302 to the 351, is the deck height. And by the way, I plan to run bucket seats. Thanks, Mark

Ford Blue blood

I put a T-5 in my 66 Ranchero, used a cable/pull bell housing.  They are 3/4" deeper then the early bells.  On the inside you will see the casting marks where the old style pivot was supposed to go.  Get the old style pivot, 3/4" spacer, drill two holes, bolt it up using the stock early throw out and clutch arm, stock Z-bar and the rest of it.  Still on the road after 12 years!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

I put a T5 in my 57 Ford Custom 300 and everything was tight but it works fine. I'm running a Y-block in mine. I had to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel & let the clutch disc drop down some so the trans would clear the floor going in. After the trans input shaft went into the pilot bearing I just bolted up the pressure plate. There's only about 1/2in clearance on the top/right side but I didn't have to modify the floorboard. I'm a bit "vertically challenged" so I have to have the seat almost all the way forward. I used an old Hurst shifter arm and drilled the holes in it so it would lean a bit forward. Clears the seat fine.