News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

track bars

Started by fordaholic, 2012-03-22 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

fordaholic

I am looking to you guys "the experienced" for a little guidence here. Can anyone tell me a simple and neat way to keep these tiny little 57 ford springs from windeing up, from about 600+ lbs. of torque up front. I have a 66 Fairlane 427 clone that works well with Cal Tracks but I don`t beleive they are made for the 57. I don`t want to hack up the car if I can avoid it. It`s a bus. coupe and I am trying to keep it appearing dead stock. Any ideas ? Have done a bunch of Fairlanes (66-69) but this is my first 57.  thanks in advance  Gary   

RICH MUISE

"track bars"...opps, sorry..I thought this post was about the lounges at the race tracks. guess I'll go open another longneck.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

seriously...I think Bob (57agin) has caltracs on his '57, and Jim Nolan has experimented with several brands..not sure what he ended up with
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

I think Bob's Cal Tracs took some mods to get on the car. Maybe spring clamps and a Pinion snubber. To look
stock u can't have anything hanging down
I hate blocksanding!

57tudor

Fordaholic.
Bob has the Caltraks on his car. This is the only pic that I have. I'm sure Bob will chime in when he see's this thread.
Rick.
57 Tudor

57AGIN

Fordaholic:

I looked through all my photo file folders in my thumb drive and couldn't find my CalTrac installation photos.  But not to worry, I checked back in my ancient postings under Suspension (page 7) dated April 17, 2007 and WALAH there it was.  Yes, there had to be some minor fabrication on the frame to accept the CalTrac traction bars.  To me it isn't really visable until the car is off the ground and you know what you are looking for.  Was it worth it, I think so.  I don't know if my 57 will ever leap off the line with both front wheels 2 feet off the ground. But, I'll tell you this: the tires won't go up in smoke (unless they are too narrow), the springs won't wrap-up, but the engine may bogg if you don't have the RPM up high enough on the launch (4,000 RPM was too low for my configuration). That is based on my experience.  LOL, Bah Humbug!

Bob
57 AGIN

fordaholic

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bob I will hunt those pics down. When you ordered your Caltracs, for what car were they made for? I would like to use them. I didn`t want to spend all that loot and have to hack them up.   thanks  Gary

57tudor

Fordaholic.

I found the write-up that Bob posted several years ago. Go to "Steering & Suspension", Page 7, 7th. from the bottom of the page, "CalTrac Installation". Cool batch of pic's with the write-up.

Rick.
57 Tudor.
:burnout: