News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vintage Gen IV Air Conditioning in a 57 Ranch Wagon

Started by John Palmer, 2014-07-01 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

John Palmer

Hi I'm the "new guy" here.  I've been a lurker here for some time, and have finally "come out of the closet", LOL

I'm in need of any advice about installing a Vintage Gen IV system in my Ranch Wagon.  It has a 351w, with P/S engine.  It seems Vintage offer's this system "in pieces", but not a complete engineered package for the 57 Ford.  I guess my main questions are there any major issues with evaporator fit under the dash, and how well does it cool/heat/defrost in a wagon?  I friend is a "Chevy Guy", and he had a high opinion on the several Gen IV systems he had installed and used in a desert climate.

I've been through the drag racing, and High Boy Roadster stage, and now just want a nice comfortable 300 to 400 mile a day cruiser, to pull my vintage trailers to rally's. 

Anybody run a receiver hitch and have ideas on how much spring is needed on the rear of a 57?  I will be adding sway bars both front and rear.

I live in the  Orange/Tustin area and hope to meet some of the Orange County members.

Thanks

gasman826

I have a Gen IV in my Custom.  Fits the firewall like it was designed for it.  Gen IV puts out much colder air than OEM units.  Windlace, weather stripping and insulation will be more on an issue.  Controls are limited.  The choice is the Dakota Digital billet one or modify the OEM controls.  I had the Dakota Digital and did not like it...too small, no choice for the illumination color, polished aluminum scratches from use.  I am now doing option two by modifying OEM controls with Vintage Air components (1969 Mustang control kit).

Hitch thing.  I don't have one but the frame is pretty light.  I would build out to the side frame rails.  My Ranch Wagon has air shocks on it and my Courier wagon had an air bag kit on it.  The u-bolts are long enough to add a leaf or two.

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the Forum. You are correct, like most of the manufacturers, Vintage Air has ignored us '57 owners, and they do not make a special fit kit for us.
You live very close to several forum members who are very active in the '57 Fords scene. Bob (57AGIN) is a forum moderator, and his close friend Rick have two awesome sedans. Rob and his wagon are someplace around orange county also.
I am setting up my custom for the Gen IV. In fact, I've got everything done except the actual evaporator unit. You should have no issues at all, except maybe losing some of your glovebox. My application required the evaporator to be moved all the way to the right and all the way towards the dash because my windshield wiper motor is accessed from under the dash. Your application should give you a bit more options as far as placement.
Vintage air makes available an evaporator mock up unit, which I have, that I used to make brackets, and mostly make sure it would fit. If you are into a long range build it allows you to get everything set up for the evaporator without actually pruchasing it until it's closer to being needed. That way your warranty doesn't expire before you actually get to check it out.
I'm puzzeled with Gary's comment about  controls available..they have a half dozen or so options available. I went with the horizontal billet back-lit option. Maybe Gary knows something I don't..which is most the time, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

Yes the rear of the frame looks light!  It will need a diagonal brace under the tank back to the frame for strength.  This car has had a hitch welded to it some time during "it's past life", because I can still see some of the bracket's which were not completely cut off.  If my bumpers were not recently re-chromed, I would notch the rear for the receiver, and cover it with a spring loaded "flip up" license plate bracket.  It needs to be a very clean install, strong, yet allow the tank to be removed for service.

Good to hear that you both have had good results with a Gen IV regarding fit.  The mock up box sounds like a good idea, but this is a driver car that's "on the road now".  I guess if I had to have a Vintage Air "designed kit", I should have bought a Nomad! LOL

Thank you for your suggestions.

Partsman

The July 2012 issue of Rod & Custom has a complete article installing a Vintage Air in a 57 Ranchero.  The prior month had a serpentine belt install in the same vehicle with a 460 motor.  The July article even shows the dash controls that were used.  If you cannot find the issue let me know and I could scan it and e mail to you.
Bill

gasman826

When I bought my GEN IV Magnum several years ago, the only controller available was the three knob billet unit...no under dash or rectangular.  The cutout for the three knob needs to be very exact.  After recent shopping the Vintage Air catalog, I would consider the rectangular control to see if I could fit it in the original '57 dash.  If not, VA has a control kit for '69 Mustang controls.  I'm using it to modify the OEM controls from '65 TBird.  I have to use a '69 Mustang fan switch for the printed circuit adopter to work.

I also lost the right fresh air vent.

John Palmer

Thanks Partsman, and Gasman, very good recommendations for me to follow up.

I guess I now have a good reason to clean up the magazines in my office, looking for the July 2012 R&C.

VwDrvFnd

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

57AGIN

John Palmer:

Welcome to the site, and I'm sure glad to know there is another 57 owner in the OC area interested ingoing to shows.  Rick and I seem to be the Lone Ranger & Tonto of the car shows (lol) with our 57 Fords.  My phone is (562) 716-9601, give me a call and Rick and I will try to get in touch with you.  Rick and I coordinate the wheels portion of the Wings, Wheels, Rotors & Expo show held in October (this year October 27, 2014)at the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos.  We are also both on the Ford Car Club Council that puts on the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm every April.  Besides those events we go to one car show or another just about every weekend as we are both retired and like to show our Fords and meet with other Ford owners, especially 57 Ford owners.  Hope to hear from you.

Bob
57 AGIN

John Palmer

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2014-07-02 17:11
John Palmer:

Welcome to the site, and I'm sure glad to know there is another 57 owner in the OC area interested ingoing to shows.  Rick and I seem to be the Lone Ranger & Tonto of the car shows (lol) with our 57 Fords.  My phone is (562) 716-9601, give me a call and Rick and I will try to get in touch with you.  Rick and I coordinate the wheels portion of the Wings, Wheels, Rotors & Expo show held in October (this year October 27, 2014)at the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos.  We are also both on the Ford Car Club Council that puts on the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at Knott's Berry Farm every April.  Besides those events we go to one car show or another just about every weekend as we are both retired and like to show our Fords and meet with other Ford owners, especially 57 Ford owners.  Hope to hear from you.

Bob
57 AGIN

Bob, Thanks for the invite, but I HATE car shows, LOL. 

I'm building a "tow car", not a "show car".  And a "tow car" to me, is not a trailer queen, it has to be able to pull a load, be able to stop, and have some comfort while still being reliable.  Yes it still has to look good, but I and my son are drag racers, and vintage travel trailer fans.  This Ranch Wagon will be a tow car for our weekend activities.  Don't be surprised if you see a Dresden Blue and Colonial White Ranch Wagon pull into Bonneville, or your local drag strip dragging a race car, or a fully restored canned ham travel trailer.  We have run 11.40's at California Speedway and our quickest run of 11.01 was at Pomona, and for a Wally!  No we stopped racing the 289's and 406 FE's back in the 1960's, we now race a "street legal" air cooled VW.  We tow a tear drop to the Baja 1000 each year to spectate and camp.  We are always going somewhere, and doing something different.   

I worked as a Ford Tech back in the 1960's, and have been a Ford guy for many years.  I'll bet it's been 15 years since I had my 1966 GT convertible Mustang at the Knotts Berry Farm Ford show.

The joy's of also being retired!

Just busting your chops (lol), I'm sure we will meet up soon.

John Palmer
North Tustin/Orange area
Near 55/22 freeways

SkylinerRon

I don't know how heavy your trailers are, anything over 3000# needs a class 3 reciever hitch.
With that you can use spring bars and shouldn't need much suspenion help.
Have a pro install your hitch, a good one can set the hitch just below the bumper and slightly recessed.
We tow a big Airstream all over w/a set up like this and you can forget it's back there.
Goodluck,
Ron.