News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bulb holders: rear lights

Started by Limey57, 2014-11-03 10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Sometimes the simplest jobs turn out to be the hardest.......

I'm re-assembling the rear lights on the Ranchero, these have back-up lights as well.  I need help understanding exactly what type of bulb holders are used, on the picture below, does the back-up bulb holder pass through the hole (A) and clip into the light (C), assuming a rubber grommet is used in hole (A)?  Does the rear lamp/stop lamp bulb then clip (in it's holder) into hole (B)?

Can anyone advise somewhere on line that stocks the holders?  Unfortunately the local auto stores here stock everything you could ever need as long as it isn't more than ten years old.......

Gary

1957 Ranchero

65kcode

I believe that hole B is for your wiring w/ grommet to go to the back-up portion of the tail light lense (C).  I'm baseing this off my standard lights having the brakelight bulb in hole A.

Kevin

Limey57

Thamks Kevin, do you still get decent light output with the tail light bulb being directly behind the reverse light bub? Reason I ask is that red turn signal lights combined with brake lights aren't common over here (only legal on pre 1966 cars) so I want to ensure they are clearly visible.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

65kcode

Can't really answer that as I don't have the back-up light in mine. I do know that my housing has a reflective tape on the whole surface.  I'm also going to use an LED type bulb to amplify the brightness.

Bulbs are like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-38203

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Limey57

Thanks, really appreciated.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I'm using a '63 tailight assembly on mine, but it's basically the same setup. I can't remember where I got my sockets, but I do think it was just in a local parts house, so you may try O'reilly's or Autozone. One thing I did was get sockets that had a grounding lug so I didn't have to worry about trying to get a ground through all the components..gasket, lens, housing,paint,etc. I'll have to look when I get more time, but I think I did mine reverse from what 65kcode said, but I never checked for the correct way, just guessed. It just seemed to make more sense to me to not have the brake/tailight right behind the backup housing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

65kcode is correct, the back up light wiring goes through hole B and tail/stop light socket goes in hole A. Finding the socket for the backup light might be challenging. I've read that people paint the inside of the housing white rather then silver for a brighter light, haven't tried it myself yet..

MACs has the tail/brake light sockets..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

junior58

I have no complaints about the brightness of tail or brake light / indicator on my Fairlane with reverse lights, and just have standard reflector surface inside the housing.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

SkylinerRon

The bulb is in the center to radiate light around the B/U housing.
They are bright. You might try a 3157 bulb if you need more but, be careful not to melt the lens!
Eastwood and others sell a highly reflective paint if you like.
Goodluck,
Ron.