News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Which Headers

Started by johns2000, 2008-03-05 19:00

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

Anyone running a 460 and if so what headers are you using? I know FPA makes them for our Fords with 460's anybody else? Anyone have these and care to comment?

JPotter57

Crites makes a set, they are 2 inch primary 3.5 inch collector.  The front two tubes on each side drop below the engine crossmember so they will be touchy on a lowered car.  Also, the collector exits almost directly into the trans crossmember, so a custom xmember will need to be made with clearance for exhaust.  Price is around$300 or so, listed on their website www.critesrestoration.com.
Hope this helps...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

johns2000

shopratwoody

I run the FPA on mine. It sits pretty low and they are short which is good. Not the easiest
to put on. I have Crites mounts and crossmember. Had to do some trimming here and
there for clearance. I do like the quality though.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

johns2000

Ron

Do you know if you have the stage 2 headers? What size engine do you have? I talked to Stan at FPA yesterday and for the stage 2 for a 460 with a R/P steering system there 495. and 695. for the ceramic coated inside and out, sounds a little high but what are you going to do if your going 460 with the R/P system?

John

shopratwoody

Quote from: johns2000 on 2008-03-06 12:19
Ron

Do you know if you have the stage 2 headers? What size engine do you have? I talked to Stan at FPA yesterday and for the stage 2 for a 460 with a R/P steering system there 495. and 695. for the ceramic coated inside and out, sounds a little high but what are you going to do if your going 460 with the R/P system?

John
John,
He didn't offer me an option as I recall. I have the flash chrome I guess. I have the stock 57
steering box. I would think it would be a lot easier to fit with the R&P steering. I think mine
were about 500.00. My engine is a 429.

Ron
I hate blocksanding!

johns2000

I bet that 429 will push the old Ranchero right on down the road and probably sideways if you so desire!! Thanks for the info Ron.

shopratwoody

If you buy FPA headers tell Stan what mounts you are gonna use. He kinda used that
as an excuse as to why I had to make mine fit.
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

johns2000

Yea, that's good advice I told him about everything else, engine, steering. You kinda think he would have asked?