News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E Code harmonic balancer help

Started by 48flyer, 2015-07-21 08:08

Previous topic - Next topic

48flyer

Does anyone know whether or not the balancer on the E code, is the same as a regular 312?
A friend has one that the engine was completely rebuilt on, but we put a regular balancer on it, because we couldn't find a E code one.
It has a mild vibration, and we're thinking that may be the cause.
If someone has a parts book, could you please check and see if the balancer part numbers are the same?
Thank you

Hoosier Hurricane

The E code uses the same balancer as the rest of the non-supercharged Ys for '57.  The supercharged one is different because of the pulleys.   John

Ray

E-code harmonic balancer is the same as D. The blower balancer is completely different. It uses a larger diameter counterweight. Only ever seen a couple of passenger car "F" balancers.

Currently working on my second "E". Both with factory air, which uses a completely different balancer.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

48flyer

"Currently working on my second "E". Both with factory air, which uses a completely different balancer"

Ray, this is an air conditioned car. I don't think it's factory though. I'll have to get a better look at it.
What is the difference?
Thanks

Ray

Hi, by memory, (as a qualifier), 312's are a little funny. on non-SC, non-air cars, pulley locations are as follows; shive 1=generator, water pump. shive 2=no connection to anything, shive 3=power steering, shive 4=unavailable. dampner comes with one shive, the steering is an ad-on pulley.

Factory air cars use a 3-shive dampner. Shive 1 & 2= water pump, generator, air conditioning compressor, shive 3=power steering. No ad-on's. Also, factory air cars (selectaire) should have in-dash equipment. If you have a "knee-knocker" you have another issue.

Should be pretty obvious. I have some pix from the full power, factory air "E" retractable I built a number of years ago, also, I can take some pix of the engine compartment of the "D" model factory air convert I am just completing. e-mail me at the "Sundiver.net" site and I'll do what I can.

The factory air, full power "E" model is in body work right now.

Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

SkylinerRon

All 57 Passenger V-8's w/o A/C  Except Supercharged.
1 Sheave  water pump, gen.
2nd (Frt) Sheave P/S only.

A/C Cars have 3 Sheave.
2 of the belts drive the A/C, WP and Gen ( all of which have a unique 2 Sheave pullies).
3rd sheave is P/S.

Compressor is all cast iron, mounted above the generator.
Many aftermarket kits used a York aluminum compressor (single belt) mounted high above the generator

2 Factory A/C units were available in 1957,
Selectaire is mounted in the dash. There is a plaque on the outside of the pass door near the vent window.
Polaraire is mounted under the dash as a box. Plaque located on the "box".

Both units were also sold as a dealer install kits.

Goodluck,

Ron.

P/S......Many aftermarket kits were sold (Sears, Wards, Mark IV  ect).

48flyer

Thanks for the response.
This is actually a 57 E code (2) 4 barrel set up in a 56 car. It has all of the factory 56 air conditioning, with the extremely rare factory venting in the dash. I'll try and get some pictures next time I see him. The car is stunning.
I just wish we could figure out the small vibration in the engine. I was hoping it may be the wrong balancer. I'll get more detailed pics of that as well.
Thanks again guys

Ray

One somewhat common problem is that the balance weight on the balancer has moved or slipped. Don't exactly know how to evaluate other than to look for obvious signs that it is out of place. I have a couple of air balancers but I'm not sure I could tell exact location that well.

There are a couple of people rebuilding them if it becomes necessary. You can look on e-bay for someone that advertises "rebuilt" balancers for a source.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird